New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-07-17).

There should be a "Next" and "Previous" button in Quizzes.next/New Quizzes like there is for regular quizzes, assignments, pages, etc. When a student is in the flow within a module, they are able to advance through the module by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page (quiz, assignment, etc.). But when Quizzes.next is in the module they are taken to a page where there is no "Next" or "Previous" and their flow within the module is interrupted. The student can click on "Return" at the top of the page, which returns them to the module, but it does not return them to the next item in the module, so their flow is interrupted.

68 Comments
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for creating this idea. I discovered this the hard way this summer when I had an online course ready to go and was doing my last-minute testing in Student View and learned that my students would lose access to the benefits of using Modules. I spent a frantic few hours exporting questions from Quizzes.Next and importing into legacy Quizzes to retain the integrity of Previous and Next. 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Yes, this would be extremely nice. It is hard to believe that this is yet another aspect that is not in the New Quizzes that was part of the old quizzes. I know New Quizzes is an LTI integration, but there are far too many missing pieces.

fortunatom
Community Novice

Makes sense!

amy_pritchard2
Community Member

I can't believe this hasn't been done already. The 'return' button wastes so much time

terisaurus
Community Member

Seriously. Sometimes the new quiz tool feels like it's not ready for prime time, and the timeline is happening so quickly.

We are evaluating third party quiz tools because we can't find something that:

1. Has the next button (student experience)

2. Supports Canvas Outcomes (analytics)

3. Collects data (analytics)

4. (optional) allows embedding of quizzes in a page. (student experience)

Things we have looked into:

- H5P (has 1 and either 3. or 4. - if embedded in a page, no data).

- Cidi labs (has 4. (which supersedes 1.))

- New Quizzes (2. and 3.)

If anyone has any ideas, please share!

c_swain
Community Member

There are a number of problems with New Quizzes, but the lack of the "next" and "previous' buttons is the biggest issue for me. 

tnaylwar
Community Participant

I will not utilize New Quizzes until there is a "Next" and "Previous" button in our K-12 school district, which is truly unfortunate!

jryter1
Community Participant

This is frustrating. I don't want to make a bunch of old quizzes and try to import the questions to the new quizes at a later date. I tried that and it will be bad... Please fix this. 

amyslack
Community Participant

Please fix this! With remote learning, students need to be able to easily progress through a module. A next button is a MUST inside of new quizzes once they are done. This is really breaking the usefulness of Modules!

lynn_birdsong
Community Member

This was a big problem for my students who have Special Education needs, and those who are ELL! I could put nothing after the Quiz and I always had a Discussion be the last page and last assignment. They could not access it unless they returned to my module, which was very difficult for many students to understand. Thanks for considering a prompt FIX for this problem.