[New Quizzes] New Quizzes: Option to eliminate choices during a multiple matching quiz

When students take a multiple matching quiz, it is very confusing for them to continue to see answer options in the drop down list after they have selected them as an answer. See in the pic below how "rising, beginning, origin" was selected as the first vocab answer, but is still available in the drop down list of choices for all of the following questions. It would be best if instructors had the option to choose if answers should be used only once to eliminate them for the list OR, allow for the answers to be used again. Please consider this feature request to eliminate confusion for students. Thanks!

168453_Eliminate_choices_in_multiple_matching_quizzes.pngEliminate_choices_in_multiple_matching_quizzes.png

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

26 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

prmjohnson

Thank you for coming and submitting this idea.  The idea has been put to vote several times (see below) but never reached the threshold needed to advance it to the next stage.  Maybe it will gain more traction when this submission opens for vote on March 2nd.  This seems to be needed especially by younger students who may have trouble remembering which choices they have already used.  I don't see it listed in Modern Quizzing Engine, so if you would like to see this idea included in that project, please add your use cases in the comments on that document.

Thanks,

Scott

prmjohnson
Community Novice

Thanks so much, Scott! I added the info in the comment section. Thanks

again!

Regards,

Maria Johnson

*Upper School Instructional Technology Director/Innovation & Technology

Team Leader*

McDonogh School

mjohnson@mcdonogh.org

443-544-7421

Twitter: @prmjohnson

Email the Tech Consultants <us-tech-consultants@mcdonogh.org>

Tech Blog <https://sites.google.com/a/mcdonogh.org/tech-blog/home>

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Scott Dennis <instructure@jiveon.com>

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

asatkins
Community Novice

Great idea, especially to give the option. I can see where you would sometimes want the answer to keep showing up (if you had to select between one of three options for 15 questions), but having the ability to make it disappear if you wanted would be valuable too.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a bit of a complex one to build, but we will consider this for inclusion in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​. While we may not be able to include it in our initial scope, we will keep it as a part of our backlog to ensure we address it as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Jason

prmjohnson
Community Novice

Thanks so much for your response, Jason! This idea has come up several

other times, but never got the minimum amount of votes, so I know this is

something that would be appreciated by many users. Thanks again!

Regards,

Maria Johnson

*Upper School Instructional Technology Director/Innovation & Technology

Team Leader*

McDonogh School

mjohnson@mcdonogh.org

443-544-7421

Twitter: @prmjohnson

Email the Tech Consultants <us-tech-consultants@mcdonogh.org>

Tech Blog <https://sites.google.com/a/mcdonogh.org/tech-blog/home>

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

stanley_abell
Community Novice

In my World History classes I have large populations of kids with IEPs, ESL students, etc., for whom the drop-down menu continuing to include terms they've already used is very confusing. It would be very helpful to have them eliminated, or at least greyed out. 

jthoms
Community Novice

Just to add a voice to the choir, this feature would also be useful in higher education. Exams are already stressful, and these sorts of comparison questions are a good way to check student understanding. By having them "track" what they have already answered, we add to an already full cognitive load.

dayshat_meekins
Community Novice

This is a great feature idea. I do believe that the option to eliminate answer choice would be great. Marking out answer choices while test taking is a testing technique that is constantly taught to students; therefore, it would be great for them to have this option with their technology implementation.