[New Quizzes] New Quizzes: Option to eliminate choices during a multiple matching quiz

When students take a multiple matching quiz, it is very confusing for them to continue to see answer options in the drop down list after they have selected them as an answer. See in the pic below how "rising, beginning, origin" was selected as the first vocab answer, but is still available in the drop down list of choices for all of the following questions. It would be best if instructors had the option to choose if answers should be used only once to eliminate them for the list OR, allow for the answers to be used again. Please consider this feature request to eliminate confusion for students. Thanks!

168453_Eliminate_choices_in_multiple_matching_quizzes.pngEliminate_choices_in_multiple_matching_quizzes.png

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

26 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

jmurdock
Community Member

Students need to see that they have already used a word from the word bank of a matching quiz. Could you add something like a check mark to show that a word has already been used?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

WTOdom
Community Explorer

Agree. This would help all students but especially kids who use classroom modifications. 

WTOdom
Community Explorer

I know that multiple choice questions can have a word bank, but it would be beneficial to be able to have a word bank for several questions so that when they use a word it disappears from the bank. That way they don't use the same word more than once. 

JDL
Community Member

Going through matching questions can often get tedious, with students having to scroll through all the answers every time they want to input an answer. Teachers should be given an option to have the quiz get rid of answers as they are used. This would make taking quizzes a better experience and make them feel less taxing and repetitive,

jwhalen
Community Explorer

Has any traction been made on this issue? Three years later and I am trying to write an exam with matching answers where students can use process of elimination. It is awful to spend 36 hours creating an exam and copy + pasting every question + answer into Canvas only to find out, at the very end of your exam that... your last 16 questions can't be formatted in the way that you need to ask it.

Please, fix this.

jwhalen
Community Explorer

How can we vote on this or get Canvas to somehow "consider" making this change?
I VOTE FOR THIS CHANGE.

I teach 5 classes and have 200 students. I do not have time to "follow" this process.

CANVAS: Please, please, please please please. Make this change.
I teach. You handle the software.

cwalls24
Community Novice

For matching sections on quizzes it would be helpful if the text would strikeout an answer after it was selected. That way you can still read it if you want to change an answer but you know which ones you used. This could be an optional deauthorize so it can be turned off if a question uses one option more than once.

kkfroelich
Community Novice

I agree that this would be a fantastic upgrade. As it is designed now, I don't use it. I have to do a traditional paper/pencil quiz so they can eliminate answers--obviously, this doesn't work well for my virtual learners. Thanks so much for working to make this an option!