cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

(364)
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

324 Comments
smorgan7

Agree. This is a no brainer.  Canvas, why does this take so long to remedy this?  I am losing interest in creating my assessments on Canvas.

josuecarames

Also for hotspots! For example, I do not want to create multiple questions with the same image... 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Why not have a hotspot question with MULTIPLE areas to click on - like H5P and https://h5p.org/node/65138

mholstein

What is taking so long? New Quiz has so many great feature but NOT having graded Matching is preventing so many teachers from using the tool.

dsedia

Agreed with most of what was said. Additionally, there are many convoluted features in quizzes that can make it difficult to understand. Changing one point becomes a hassle and time consuming. Yes, why is this feature all or nothing with point designation? This needs to be fixed. 

david_eargle
Community Member

I wrote some javascript which awards partial credit for "new quiz" questions. See here for a blog post describing it.

audra_rudys

Quizzes.next was introduced to our team in September, and I just started using it. Already, I've run into frantic students wondering if I'm going to give them 0 on matching question worth 10 points if they mix up 2 of them! This is ridiculous. Please fix this, the former quiz module awards partial credit, teacher expectation and student expectation is that there's partial credit for these types of questions. Going back to the former quiz type.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

When our institution adopted canvas in fall 2018 quizzes next was one of my

favorite new things, and I began planning on how I could improve my courses

by using it. Then I found about the silly no partial credit feature. So I

sadly abandoned my plans. But I was hopeful that this absolute no brainier

would be fixed. And I'm not a computer programmer but I bet it's not that

hard to fix this. Yet it still hasn't been fixed. This snacks of

incompetence.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020, 12:26 PM audra.rudys@wayzataschools.org <

melissa_kamp
Community Participant

Thanks for sharing this! I tried it out, and it worked beautifully. However, I needed to run the snippet for each student's quiz submission. (There is a still a manual component to getting this to work as each student's grade needs to be run through an update, and it can only be completed after students take the quiz.) Is this correct? Or am I missing a step? I am a novice when it comes to code snippets and dev consoles, so any help would be appreciated.

david_eargle
Community Member

No, you are correct, my hack has to be run for each student's quiz submission, after the quiz has been submitted. Limitation of it being client-side javascript that essentially just clicks buttons on a webpage as if you were clicking them. 

PS, my approach to handling this is to hide all student grades until after I've run the partial grading script. Last semester, I only had to do it for my final exam so the pain wasn't too great for me. Grades have to be hidden in two views -- one from the Quiz.Next individual quiz settings, and another from the gradebook. Sobbing students in the hallway outside of one of my final exams before I had applied the partial-grade fix taught me really quickly that my assumptions about what students could and couldn't see were tragically incorrect ಠ_ಠ 

robert_a_petrof

So....in the past 16 months, 280 people have voted that partial credit should be offered.....and 40+ people have commented as well.....and nothing has changed?   What great customer service they provide!!!!

lph
Community Champion

I may be misunderstanding the request but in item banks, multiple choice style questions have the option for "vary points by answer." It's possible to put a negative as well as decimals (partial credit) for multiple choice answers. 

I have not tried the option but this seems to match the request. Maybe someone in the community uses this feature. 

snugent
Community Champion

This request is for the matching question type which automatically scores the entire question wrong if the student get any of the matches wrong. This was requested by nursing faculty but everyone else wants to provide partial credit. Currently, one must manually regrade each attempt to give partial credit. 

lph
Community Champion

Hi Susan,

Thank you. Has the "vary points by answer" been attempted to see if this helps?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Am slightly confused Susan. Are you saying that all or nothing marking system for this was created on the recommendation of one group? Do you have a link to this original idea request? I had always assumed that the matching quiz feature never had partial marking

robert_a_petrof

Why wouldn't there be an option to give partial credit to accommodate our various needs? As a middle school history teacher......having to re-score 100 tests is an unnecessary waste of time.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here at the school.

Sincerely,

Rob Petroff

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School

An IB World School

Individuals and Societies 7 and 8

World Studies 7 US History 8

301-353-8080

snugent
Community Champion

Actually, now that I can thinking about it, it was the multiple answer question type that nursing faculty wanted to have the all or nothing option. I believe both question types do the all or nothing in new quizzes which is the exact opposite of what they do in classic quizzes. I agree faculty should get to decide this option and nobody should have to manually regrade attempts because the system didn't do want they wanted it to do. 

arnold_cassie
Community Member

In this case, it should be a toggle option that is set up when you build the test. I can't have my teachers use new quizzes at all because of the all or nothing. I wanted to move us over this summer but I just cannot do it.

hfitzgerald0008

Any update on this?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Been looking at Neo learning platform by Cypher Learning - not only do they have partial marking but also the option to have text entry or html entry. You simply click an option to choose.

Runs on Ruby on rails - is this not the same as Canvas?

Come on Instructure!