New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
lph
Community Champion

Hey Gideon,

Your post is spot on. Development and communication are two company weaknesses.

My comment was based on the value of creating an account here and posting only a complaint. It’ll most likely be ignored. In contrast, an active community member should be heard. 

I love to play the ‘If I were a consultant” game. What would I suggest?

1. Put all development resources into new quizzes. Blow out the competition with a product which goes beyond expectations. Right now, new quizzes is underwhelming; it’s alphaware presented as betaware. It’s incomplete. 

2. Look at https://clickup.canny.io/  and see how a nimble company uses community, communication, and consistency to foster the company growth. Copy the model. 

3. Dedicate every marketing resource into keeping customers. A loss of one is the loss of uncounted dozens. How do you keep customers? Follow the ideas here and get them done. Listen to the users of the product, duh. 

How does this relate to this feature? It’s a no-brainer. Get it done and it’ll release some tension. Instructure needs a victory. It’s staring leadership right in their faces. Partial credit is being demanded and so the company must follow through.

Layne

tian_yen
Community Novice

@Layne: I appreciate the call out. I am frustrated and perhaps that led to a more harsh expression than was reasonable.

And perhaps I also don't understand the forum format because I am new to the forums.

So let me clarify a few points:

• I have been using Canvas for the last 4 years, so it is not that I am new as much as I am new to forums because I felt like it was important to have my voice heard.
  • I was not threatening to abandon Canvas, but trying to communicate that I will be encouraging my peers to not use New Quizzes, because they are not functioning in a manner which is useful to our department. I will encourage them to continue to use the old quizzes. I see that they are trying to phaseout old quizzes, but they clearly haven't worked out a lot of the kinks that they need to yet.
  • Canvas services: I thought that this was the appropriate place to give Canvas feedback... They asked for it earlier, but I didn't have any. I guess when I read through the forum, I was surprised that Canvas does not have any spokesperson or moderator to address such concerns that were listed for the last two years.
GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Appreciate the time you took to reply. We are all frustrated. I've been using VLE/LMS at K12 for nearly 20 years. Canvas is a great product, but it has the potential to be a brilliant one!

Agree with you 100%. Focus on the core. Address the issues. Work with the community. 

lph
Community Champion

Thank you for explaining !

Welcome and please don't by shy. This community has saved my bacon many times. 

In terms of this feature -- it's a no-brainer. I'm surprised it isn't done. However, as a person who released software (years ago), positive feedback is always helpful and negative feedback gets the bristle. We are all human and we are all frustrated by the slow development of new quizzes and many other highly voted features. 

Let's hope leadership is paying attention to this thread. They really harm future viability by ignoring ideas from this community. In fact, if I was the competition then the ideas section would be beautiful product development research.

kdurham2
Community Novice

Kathryn Durham

I feel it defeats the purpose of having matching or categorization questions if CANVAS does not automatically give partial credit for the correct answers.  In the old exams partial credit was given so I am worried that when instructors switch to the new exam format they will not realize that partial credit is not being given for these questions.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Which is a point well made, then tell them that they need to go into each quiz and manually mark those questions..... 

JulieDiener
Community Member

Please, please add partial point options to the New Quiz type soon!

I've been told we will only have old quizzes working first semester, but partial points for matching isn't available yet. 

smurphy12
Community Explorer

WE have several instructors who need to be able this as well. Please make this a feature option. 

hoggardr
Community Explorer

Just curious as to whether this partial credit idea was ever implemented?  I agree that all questions need the ability to decide how to give partial credit automatically.  What's the use of having an automatically graded quiz, if we still have to sift through each item manually to decide about adding partial credit.

cynthia_lloyd
Community Novice

This is absolutely needed for new quizzes.  Students need to be given credit for correct matches in a matching question and this makes no sense to be all or nothing. It does not give teachers the data we need to evaluate mastery and therefore renders the entire type of question invalid.