cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

(162)

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

220 Comments
jcampane
Surveyor

Good heavens, YES!!!  I have kids that PANIC when they have one thing wrong in one of these sections and they get a zero.  12 things to categorize...get one out of place and no matter how I set the points it's a big old ZERO.  They freak out!  They're just middle schoolers, poor things!  It's very demeaning and discouraging for them.  I'M BEGGING SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!!! 

AND it's wasting my time...I'm working 12-18 hours per day even on the weekends through online learning with COVID.  I don't have time to explain over and over to my students why they DON'T have a 62% on an activity or quiz when it looks an awful lot like they do.  And I don't have time to manually change every one either.  This is an URGENT issue!!!  This aspect of Canvas is not only stressing my kids out, it is contributing to the fact that I have zero time for my family or myself.  I mean, come on people.  Canvas is wonderful in soooo many ways (once you get used to things)...I often sing praises about it...but when it falls short like this, it really seems to belly flop.  How hard can it be to offer partial credit (although I'll be the 1st to admit I'm not a tech person, so maybe it's harder than I think)?

mbrokowski
Surveyor II

I have to agree. Grading via partial credit should not only be an option for matching questions - it should be the default. How often does anyone answer a question with 10 matches, gets 8 of them correct and then receives a 0 credit for that question? These are questions on a quiz, not wires on an explosive device - getting it mostly right is worth some credit! At least as an option.

The current grading scheme is so far outside ordinary experience that I didn't even check for it when I created my quiz. Basically, matching questions are of no value to me as they will require manual re-grading of each matching question for 100+ students' quizzes each time.

Since I am not seeing much in the way of response from the instructure folks here, can someone please tell me where I need to go to put this in as an official feature request, or where can I find the existing request to upvote it?

wakimsu
Surveyor

Please fix this!!!  We need partial credit for large questions.

megande
Surveyor

I just made some assignments in new quizzes before I realized this was an issue and now I've had to let all the students know not to freak out about their scores because I will be going back in manually to award partial credit for those problems.

Please fix this!! It should definitely be the default to get partial credit on the matching questions (as well as categorical questions)! It works in classic quizzes so it seems like it should have been the way new quizzes was set up from the start too.

hoggardr
Surveyor II

With the number of people who are commenting on this thread about how this is such a major problem, I do not understand why Canvas has not fixed this yet!  This is a major problem!

tgitter
Learner

I echo the frustration with the lack of ability to allocate partial credit toward categorization questions within Quizzes.NEXT. Possessing the ability to choose either all or none OR partial credit would be ideal. Yes, fudge points exist; however, manually entering the partial credit is not efficient. Please expedite this issue. Can we vote? Is this in development?

hhscoachj
Surveyor

This one is really a must. I have teachers ready to throw up their hands and walk away from online assessment specifically because of this (ends up being a straw that broke the camel's back situation). I'm shocked to see that this is still only "Open for Conversation", because this seems obvious.

khahn1
Surveyor II

This is a two year old request, and this is ridiculous that this hasn't been dealt with yet. It's extremely disappointing to be using a quiz that is lacking such an important feature. The point of having an auto-graded quiz is to give students accurate and immediate feedback, however with this issue, it doesn't save either of us time. I have to go in and manually adjust each one. Deal with this!!!!!

JulieDiener
Surveyor II

I respectfully request you configure the matching questions in new quizzes to function like it does in the original version so that it will auto-grade to allow for partial credit points. We anxiously await this feature as we have been notified we will lose original quizzes in February. It is very frustrating that the newer version doesn't offer the same functionality as the original.

If the new version can't do what the original version can then please don't take away the original. Thank you.

donohonatalee
Surveyor

It's very important for us to be able to work with and along side our students as they grow and progress, a partial grade allows us to show improvement and a 'moving of the needle' in the right direction, in the direction of learning and it increases motivation.

patrick_pitts
Surveyor

For me matching questions are unusable until students can earn partial credit. The biggest up side for me in giving quizzes through Canvas is not having to grade anything but written response questions. I cannot sell my colleagues or even myself on having to go in and grade sections on Canvas that are more easily graded by hand.

LeighAnnJames
Surveyor

Please add an option for matching questions to allow for partial credit on quizzes.

vogtheather
Surveyor

I respectfully request you configure the matching questions in new quizzes to function like it does in the original version so that it will auto-grade to allow for partial credit points. We anxiously await this feature as we have been notified we will lose original quizzes in February. It is very frustrating that the newer version doesn't offer the same functionality as the original. If the new version can't do what the original version can then please don't take away the original. Thank you.

SuCeRi
Surveyor II

I absolutely 100% agree. I CANNOT believe that partial credit for matching is not an option. Just had to spend 4 hours going in and correcting for this in a class of 400+ students in which the questions were scrambled, so I had to scroll through the entirety of every student's exam.

A student could get 4 out of 5 correct, or 1 out of 5 correct, and in each case, get 0/5 points. ABSURD. Please fix ASAP.

mbruceFZS
Surveyor

Please fix this!!

rachelmerk
Surveyor II

totally!

patrick_pitts
Surveyor

To be completely honest, this is the kind of thing that goes unaddressed for 2 years and 100+ comments will make many reconsider their use of Canvas and investigate other platforms such as itslearning or Google Classroom.

khahn1
Surveyor II

There's 137 comments, but only 33 "votes" on this. Please vote 5 stars on this to have a better shot at getting their attention.

hemmannjessica
Surveyor

NEW QUIZZES PARTIAL CREDIT - This is a BIG DEAL!  I don't understand why the ''new'' quizzes would not have the same function as the ''old'' quizzes, only better.  I would like Canvas to include an option to offer partial credit for the questions.  I don't understand why that is not a choice that the teacher has.  I can't imagine any teacher giving a student zero points for a question in which he/she marked 9 out of 10 correctly.  That is good teaching!  

Our district tells us that we will only be able to use ''new'' quizzes after February.  That means that I will have to go through each quiz manually and change the grades after the students take it.  I don't have time for that!  Plus, nothing is more defeating for students than seeing that they got zero points for a ten point matching question.  

Right now this is a huge deal-breaker!  I purposely have made all of my quizzes using the ''old'' quizzes so that I can do partial credit.  This will be a disaster if the old quizzes disappear and we don't have the option to do the partial credit with ''new'' quizzes.  CANVAS, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM VERY SOON!  There will be many unhappy students and teachers if they do not.

morrisdawn
Surveyor

I respectfully request you configure the matching questions in new quizzes to function like it does in the original version so that it will auto-grade to allow for partial credit points. We anxiously await this feature as we have been notified we will lose original quizzes in February. It is very frustrating that the newer version doesn't offer the same functionality as the original. If the new version can't do what the original version can then please don't take away the original. Thank you.