New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
LeighAnnJames
Community Member

Please add an option for matching questions to allow for partial credit on quizzes.

vogtheather
Community Novice

I respectfully request you configure the matching questions in new quizzes to function like it does in the original version so that it will auto-grade to allow for partial credit points. We anxiously await this feature as we have been notified we will lose original quizzes in February. It is very frustrating that the newer version doesn't offer the same functionality as the original. If the new version can't do what the original version can then please don't take away the original. Thank you.

SuCeRi
Community Explorer

I absolutely 100% agree. I CANNOT believe that partial credit for matching is not an option. Just had to spend 4 hours going in and correcting for this in a class of 400+ students in which the questions were scrambled, so I had to scroll through the entirety of every student's exam.

A student could get 4 out of 5 correct, or 1 out of 5 correct, and in each case, get 0/5 points. ABSURD. Please fix ASAP.

mbruceFZS
Community Member

Please fix this!!

rachelmerk
Community Explorer

totally!

patrick_pitts
Community Member

To be completely honest, this is the kind of thing that goes unaddressed for 2 years and 100+ comments will make many reconsider their use of Canvas and investigate other platforms such as itslearning or Google Classroom.

khahn1
Community Participant

There's 137 comments, but only 33 "votes" on this. Please vote 5 stars on this to have a better shot at getting their attention.

hemmannjessica
Community Member

NEW QUIZZES PARTIAL CREDIT - This is a BIG DEAL!  I don't understand why the ''new'' quizzes would not have the same function as the ''old'' quizzes, only better.  I would like Canvas to include an option to offer partial credit for the questions.  I don't understand why that is not a choice that the teacher has.  I can't imagine any teacher giving a student zero points for a question in which he/she marked 9 out of 10 correctly.  That is good teaching!  

Our district tells us that we will only be able to use ''new'' quizzes after February.  That means that I will have to go through each quiz manually and change the grades after the students take it.  I don't have time for that!  Plus, nothing is more defeating for students than seeing that they got zero points for a ten point matching question.  

Right now this is a huge deal-breaker!  I purposely have made all of my quizzes using the ''old'' quizzes so that I can do partial credit.  This will be a disaster if the old quizzes disappear and we don't have the option to do the partial credit with ''new'' quizzes.  CANVAS, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM VERY SOON!  There will be many unhappy students and teachers if they do not.

morrisdawn
Community Member

I respectfully request you configure the matching questions in new quizzes to function like it does in the original version so that it will auto-grade to allow for partial credit points. We anxiously await this feature as we have been notified we will lose original quizzes in February. It is very frustrating that the newer version doesn't offer the same functionality as the original. If the new version can't do what the original version can then please don't take away the original. Thank you.

kroy1
Community Explorer

Argh, I am so frustrated now!  Just made a 40 question test in new quizzes in which half are matching only to discover it is all or nothing.  Not cool, Canvas, not cool. Why in the world would you not allow partial credit in matching?  That makes zero sense for all or nothing to be the only option.