New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
boylermaker
Community Member

+1 to this.

If your platform is obviously worse than pen-and-paper, even for objective questions with single answers, you have a problem.

jcheney
Community Member

I created my first new quiz using a matching question.  The question had 10 terms and 10 definitions.  I was very disappointed that only students that matched all 10 terms received points on that question.    There needs to be a way to give credit for correct responses within the question, i.e. partial credit for the question.

JulieDiener
Community Member

everyone, please make sure to VOTE! to have a chance at changes!!

February is looming closer (when we are told original quizzes is going away)- we are building semester 2 work and are stuck!!

Click the 5 stars above the red Comment oval

Sjudy
Community Member

Not really sure how an Learning Management System as reputable as Canvas can create a matching question for quizzes that is completely worthless for the users.  Also shocked that many comments about this are from two years ago and the issues hasn't been addressed.  Canvas is removing classic quizzes in about 4 months, yet has not even made a simple upgrade solve a problem that has been recognized by so many users.

csjoiner
Community Member

Yes.  I this is an urgent need and a downgrade from Classic Quizzes!

kdager
Community Member

Useless without partial credit.  Please make this happen!!!!!!!!

heath_sharp
Community Member

This was a big disappointment. It should come with a disclaimer "Beware of Matching Scoring Irregularities: this technology may give unintended feedback." I am off to manually grade...

GovtMoon
Community Member

?The quiz set up does not warn you its all or nothing when assigning point value?

That is not a good thing. I have a lot of students who are frustrated with me now. Would appreciate if this could be updated.  

david_simpson1
Community Explorer

This functionality is of critical importance.
As it currently stands, the use of New Quizzes is limited because matching and categorisation questions are not usable.
I wish the Canvas Dev team would see this as a priority and rectify it. Unfortunately, it's been a problem since 2018 and there's been no progress so far...

jenn2821
Community Member

This feature has to be added to the new quizzes.   We are all using Canvas this year and the students should be given partial credit.  If they can match 9/10 problems correctly, they should earn a 9/10 instead of a zero.    The math teachers at my school would greatly appreciate having the settings give partial credit for matching questions.