New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
jhenderson723
Community Explorer

Where is the vote for this?! Why would Instructure not include this feature for the new quizzes when it is a feature in the classic quizzes. This needs to be put up for a vote immediately. Usually when you add new versions, it should include additional amazing features that makes you want to get rid of the old version. Unfortunately, because Canvas has not brought many of the vital features from classic quizzes into new quizzes, many teacher prefer not to use it! Which makes new quizzes such a waste!

Bring over partial credit into Matching, multiple answer, and any other question type that might be able to receive partial credit! 

I vote this up!!

kawelzenbach
Community Member

This has been open for 2 years. How is it not resolved yet?

alan_mathison
Community Member

Yes Please. 

cjanssen
Community Novice

How has this not been resolved in more than 2 years! 

I don't normally use matching questions, but have one concept well-suited to this format.  I did not discover Canvas would not give partial credit until students were in the middle of taking the quiz.  I gave this question a higher point value because of the number of terms tested.  The students were upset when they saw their grade on the quiz go down to 70% from missing just one match.  There is no point to having a matching exercise that doesn't give partial points.  I would have been better off creating separate multiple choice questions.  

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

I'm on Zoom right now supporting yet another faculty member who is using matching. Matching is basically a partially developed feature with all or nothing scoring. The average user doesn't distinguish between actual bugs and a feature working as designed but inadequately. For that mass of users, this is simply a bug that makes this feature nearly unusable.

joel_ostblom
Community Member

I would love to see this too, for matching, reordering, and multiple answers (partial credit without minus points). It looks like this is the most upvoted question on canvas and it seems trivial to implement, so I am surprised this is not in development or has an official reply from a canvas member describing why not.   

markbantle
Community Member

Lame. Lame. LAME!!! 

Now that I have to go back and clean up this mess, I will not be using this feature again.

I realize two years might not be enough time to identify this issue and correct it <sarcasm>, but the least <very least> you could do is warn people when they setup a matching quiz.

#comeoncanvas @canvaslms 

corbetta95
Community Member

Yes please! Add partial credit to "Categorization" and "Matching" problems!

minnie_dayton
Community Novice

I agree.  The way it is now makes grading very time consuming!

CTENC
Community Novice

Matching and categorization don't give partial points. This stresses students out when they get a zero when some of their answers are correct. This also stresses teachers out because they have to go in and hand grade ALL the students who didn't get 100%.