New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
isaac_stewart
Community Member

Why has this been on the page since 2018?  You would think this would be easy to take care of......

yssman
Community Member

The status is still just "Open for conversation"; I wonder what needs to happen for Canvas to take their customers serious and promote this to the next level. Crazy stuff.

d_truax
Community Member

Yes please partial credit for  all listed. It's a pain to need to go in and regrade each!

barbara_stickle
Community Novice

Soooo angry!  Just wasted over an hour creating, testing, chatting with help to find my matching quizzes are useless.

c_p_jobling
Community Explorer

I'v all but abandoned new quizzes and it's not only for this issue. The editor is not the standard canvas rich content editor, so you can't add proper equations (in LaTeX) and you can't adjust things in an HTML view as you sometimes need to.

And the killer for me was that you can't have equations or figures in the answers!

That makes new quizzes useless to anyone teaching a STEM subject.

So, it's bye bye New Quizzes from me!

boonela
Community Member

Please allow for partial credit on all question types.  This needs to be fixed before Classic Quizzes is phased out. 

yssman
Community Member

@c_p_jobling 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are going to get rid of the classic quizzes; What are you going to do then?

jawall
Community Explorer

@yssman @c_p_jobling 

I've abandon new quizzes almost completely as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I guess it's back to paper and pencil. It's easier to grade on paper than correcting the Canvas quiz.  Any ideas? I can't believe Canvas is leaving us out in the cold on this one. This thread has been going on for 2+ years, so I feel I can safely say that they simply do not care.

mbrokowski
Community Explorer

@yssman There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth when old quizzes go away. There are plenty of complaints about this partial credit issue and the problems with the WYSIWYG editor (which also has the bad habit of moving objects that one wants to edit around on the page when you click them, which leads to all sorts of unintended edits and frustration).

But, the new quizzes (as best I know) do NOT allow downloading a CSV of all of the student questions and their responses for a quiz. That CSV is hugely useful for those who use it to do their own offline grading. That allows instructors to handle special cases for numerical answers and to use text entry for things like coding questions (e.g. "Write a line of C code that prints 'Hello World') that may have many correct answers (and answers that deserve partial credit) that the instructor might not have guessed before seeing them. Having the student responses all in a column in a spreadsheet makes grading far far faster than grading individually using Speedgrader. That is an important option and one that is not available (at least according to my conversations with Canvas support in Fall) in the new quizzes.

Of course, I have also heard that old quizzes may be around for a long time, as long as the campus LMS admin opts to keep them available. That would at least be good news until the new quizzes have all of the functionality of the old ones that many of us are relying on. That should be the minimum bar before the old quizzes become unavailable.

BTW, I like many of the new quiz features. But, primum non nocere.

mbrokowski
Community Explorer

BTW, I would like to point out again that, as of right now, there are 210 responses to this topic, pretty much all supporting adding partial credit. But, there are only 133 actual votes in favor of it. Since this is a feature that a single Canvas developer could probably code up and have ready for beta testing in a few hours, I suspect that the issue may still not be on their radar. Why? Because they likely track the votes to see if an idea has a lot of support, rather than the number of replies in the convo.

So, please, if you are motivated enough about this to post, at least take a second to actually upvote the idea. That is: Go up top to where the row of stars is, hover over the number of stars that represents you opinion of the idea (I am guessing that would be 5 stars for most of us) and click.

Clipboard01.gif