New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
dukej1
Community Member

Thanks for showing "HOW" to vote. I had no idea!

c_p_jobling
Community Explorer

@yssman I will move to something that works like numbas.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

@yssman and everyone else, I'm not sure why the Canvas team hasn't weighed in here, but there have been some clear communications on this. They've rolled back the sunset date on Classic Quizzes to 2022 because of all of the issues folks keep talking about here. My understanding isn't that this is a matter of Canvas not caring, but that the entire development approach to New Quizzes has, to put it gently, not gone as planned. They know that there are major issues, they have a list of them and they're addressing them, but the process is painfully slow. I have no idea why. I'm personally hopeful that when they do finally get everything implemented it'll be a good product, but the process and lack of consistent communication (especially through these forums) is definitely frustrating.

arleenlewis
Community Explorer

Agreed!

dalston1
Community Participant

I need this!

hommeaust
Community Novice

Love the style of New Quizzes BUT, as a teacher, I can't use it as the marking is all or nothing. No partial credit. Maybe CANVAS could introduce in Settings an option for partial-credit. Too disheartening for the students if they are disproportionately penalized. The quiz result also has a negative bearing on their average result. Please make the New Quizzes more student (and teacher) friendly. Thank you.

sloth911
Community Member

I spent the last school year making dozens of quizzes. Now I hear from my upper admin that old quizzes are being phased out for new quizzes. I make a few quizzes, no partial credit, and no question grouping? Come on. This needs to be fixed ASAP. How can the new quizzes not have the same functionality of the old quizzes? Come on. Do better. 

bethany_widman
Community Member

Absolutely agree! My remote students are taking their midterm on Canvas and I have two, 10 questions matching portions that I'm going to have to go in and manually change  for each student. What would be a quick "right" or "wrong" is now a ten minute long process per student. What a waste of time.

landrews1
Community Member

I have sent a few emails about this to Canvas with really no help. My main question is what is even the point of this idea feature if something that many people prefer never actually gets put in?

CLARICECHICK
Community Novice

Why is this not a feature in New Quizzes already when it was in Old Quizzes? It looks like this has been debated since 2018 and still not solved. I had a sub when my kids took their test and I immediately had parents and students emailing me alarmed about their grade. I would rather just give a paper copy of a test if I have to go in and hand grade them all.