New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
Kimberly72
Community Member

I can't believe this has been a topic since 2018!  Is there an update on if or when they will put partial grading for matching in New Quizzes?  It was so frustrating when we found out it wasn't giving partial credit.  

cully
Community Explorer

I keep checking back, I can't believe this feature hasn't been added. I rarely use categorize, matching, etc., because I will have to go through and hand-grade to award partial credit. FIX THIS, CANVAS! 

Draco
Community Explorer

Wow, really? 2 years and this basic thing still hasn't been addressed? Canvas needs to fix this. I'm definitely not holding out hope for a regex previewer then.

KBThornton
Community Explorer

Had a teacher today ask for this. I know that there are "work arounds" but this really should be something that we are talking about more directly. Hopefully, if we keep asking for it it will happen. 🙂 

Steven_S
Community Champion
KBThornton
Community Explorer

@Steven_S Thank you so much for sharing this. I am still figuring how to navigate the community and I find that I often over look things. 🙂

twalther
Community Participant

I understand that in some cases you might want to make these question types all-or-nothing, but there should definitely be an option to chose how Canvas calculates the partial credit. I concur that it needs to be available for multiple answer (which I think now you can do), matching, categorization, and ordering. 

Kenya-Wade
Community Member

My Canvas just recently updated to the New Quizzes version. In the Old Quizzes with matching if I assigned 20 and the student got 14 correct it would give them 14 of the 20 points, If that was the assigned points that I placed on the matching. Now if they do not get every matching correct it gives them 0 points. Is there a way to fix this?

ramsdella
Community Member

I am disappointed to see that this has been requested for 2 1/2 years and is still not fixed. Very disappointing.  This needs to be escalated and fixed very quickly.  Teachers are losing faith with new quizzes, which is a shame because there are so many great features with it.  Please make this a priority!!

steelea
Community Explorer

It's also confusing to my students on "Multiple Answers" where a wrong answer cancels out their correct points.