New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
jnw
Community Member

Please add this feature. I 2nd so many other comments here. Especially the comment below:

@rlacey  "We need this for matching, as well as multiple answer, categorization, and ordering.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having self-graded questions if teachers have to go back through and check each one to adjust points--many teachers just won't use them because it's a major nuisance."

I don't know how many hours I spent over the past 2 weeks migrating questions, then trying to figure out all the differences between the 2 Quiz types, then trying to understand each NewQuizzes question type, then basically regrading every individual test because there were so many issues that I couldn't foresee when items didn't work as I thought they would. Particularly, individual points for each matching option. 

slytle1
Community Novice

I'm with everybody on this one.
I was trying to be proactive by migrating to the new quiz format.
Ugh, didn't know anything about it until after my student's complaints.  No fun!
I'm just going to copy what an earlier poster said:

"We need this for matching, as well as multiple answer, categorization, and ordering.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having self-graded questions if teachers have to go back through and check each one to adjust points--many teachers just won't use them because it's a major nuisance.  These are great question types, but in the classroom (and even on standardized tests), students can earn partial credit.  I'd like to see Canvas grading more reflect how most teachers grade assignments."

KathiG
Community Novice

Yes please. We would like to have a quiz that allows us to engage accountability for reading and such. I need more than a yes or no response but a graduated response. Thank you!

SindiHolman
Community Member

Please fix this! This is one of the reasons I wouldn't convert to the new quiz type last year because the Classic would give partial credit. We need partial credit on this type of question! Please fix!

cdatko
Community Explorer

So this thread is 3 years old and nothing has been done yet? Please please please fix this!

michael_mcgarr1
Community Participant

100% see this as a need. Instructors assume that this is how the matching questions work and then have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to regrade the quizzes after they realize that correct matches are not awarded partial points. For instance, if there are 5 matches and the questions is worth 5 points, they expect each correct match to be worth 1 point.

MaxwellHennings
Community Member

I agree!  It makes no sense that canvas can tell which matches were incorrect but can't divide the total points for the question by the number of correct matches...  Without partial credit calculation, I find the matching question type to be useless.  At this point, it is almost identical to a multiple-choice question.  This makes no sense... fix matching questions!

JodiGuerra
Community Member

This is mission critical! This seems like it would be an easy fix. Why wouldn't matching questions be partially graded? Every other LMS already does ths.

smitht1
Community Novice

Why is this still open for conversation?  I just started to switch to new quizzes this year and now I find this a step backwards.  I have to go in and manually correct every exam....I am going back to old quizzes for sure!

khahn1
Community Participant

Are the Canvas designers kidding? Their new roadmap and updates STILL do not include fixing the partial credit issue we have been BEGGING for for years! Now we're being told over the next year and a half they can't take the time to update the code to allow partial credit when the system already marks which portion of the question was answered correctly or incorrectly? How is that a benefit to students? What do the instructors have to do to have their voices heard? I thought that was what these conversations were for, but we are clearly being ignored. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/New-Quizzes-Users/New-Quizzes-Feature-Comparison/ta-p/243761/page...

Partial Point Cavas.png