New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
jrican
Community Explorer

This really needs to be feature to allow partial credit for matching questions. When instructors have to manually grade a question to give credit for the right answers that the computer can read, that is a problem. Please fix this ASAP.

ManagerOsburn
Community Novice

Matching should have partial credit for correct answers. the work around is too time consuming. Having a single point awarded for multiple answers is insufficient.

abigailott
Community Explorer

I agree with so many who have mentioned that this should not be a voting issue.  Students should not need to panic over their score because of faulty programming.  Faculty should not have to manually review and award points for a question they have already set up with correct and incorrect answers.  Fix it.  I'm commenting on this in 2021.  This thread was started in 2018.  Fix it.

DennisWhite
Community Novice

Please update this as an option.  Using new quizzes is pointless without basic features like this.

rvtmel
Community Member

I would just like to say... yes please!!!

briddell
Community Participant

This is very important. Please get it on the roadmap immediately and into production ASAP.

laneer
Community Member

Seems many users value this basic functionality.  Matching questions in Classic Quizzes calculate partial credit scoring - shouldn't be hard to add this to the algorithm in New Quizzes.  Thanks. 

KatieBondy
Community Novice

For the categories, this needs to happen as well. That is also all or nothing. 

matthewthomas
Community Participant

I'm genuinely curious: under what circumstances would you want a matching question to be all-or-nothing? I'm sure there must be some use for that in some field, but I just can't imagine it.

cejones
Community Explorer

It is embarrassing that this basic functionality was not initially added to the New Quizzes, and it is appalling that they still have not got the job done.

One of our IT people said that he had the impression that Canvas was going to abandon the New Quizzes.  When I mentioned this on a Canvas chat somewhere, a Canvas person was outraged at the suggestion.

And yet, New Quizzes sure *feels* abandoned!