New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
TaylorSmith-Bot
Community Member

There is currently not a partial credit option in New Quizzes. For example, a 5 point Matching section is either 0/5 or 5/5. If a student misses one question they are awarded 0/5. 

I used Schoology in my previous district and that has been a schoology feature for years. Extremely frustrating this has not been added as a Canvas feature. My district has experienced an abundance of frustrations and disappointments with Canvas New Quizzes. 

kulesz
Community Explorer

Each match should score points. The idea of all or nothing is not a workable solution.

jnine98
Community Member

I realize this has been suggested, but I figure the more request the better.  This is a must-have for a matching column.  No one wants to re-grade these manually.  It defeats the purpose.  Partial credit please.

mswope
Community Contributor

Where are we with this idea of partial credit?  With the current timeline of New Quizzes becoming the standard quiz engine as of July 2022, this MUST get fixed for matching, categorization, and ordering questions!!!!

DAWNSNOW
Community Novice

Canvas....please fix this. 

I was told by Chat support that if enough people support this thread, then they might fix the matching partial credit thing.  I really hope that alllllll of these comments counts as enough.

msubstel
Community Explorer

This terrible problem has a lot of our faculty angry. It's like a bait and switch: You show a really cool matching question that faculty immediately want to buy, but when they actually deploy it they discover it is useless.

mbuchanan1
Community Member

This is much needed 😕 It's causing a huge problem for me and many other teachers. What the heck Canvas. You are awesome, why mess this up?

RobinNielson
Community Member

So, if a student is given a question that requires MATCHING, they have to answer EVERY QUESTION CORRECTLY in order to get any score.  If they get 5 out of 7 correct in a MATCHING question, the computer scores them ZERO.  If they get 6 out of 7...still ZERO.  A test that has two questions that are matching with 7 matches in each question will score a ZERO even if the student only misses one match in each question when they should earn 12 points out of 14.   

This is bad.  Of course, we can go in and 'regrade,' but what's the good in that when we want the computer to work for us?  Not only that, but when a student works very hard and KNOWS they've answered questions correctly, it really blasts them to see ZERO on the Canvas grade book. This does not help those with testing anxiety. 

Why was the partial grading taken out of matching questions in this new quiz version? In the old version it graded for partially correct answers in matching....why not now? 

The programming needs to be fixed, please. Not just on this item.  What was the reason for an upgrade that isn't as good as the first version??

Until, and if, this is fixed, I won't be able to use the matching EVER because I don't want to - nor do I have the time to - go in and manually regrade every matching question I give to my nearly 200 students. I already have to go in and double and triple check for essay questions because the new upgrade posts partial grades in the Canvas grade book BEFORE essay questions have been manually graded. This is another delight I really can't afford timewise. 

Please have someone take a look at this.  It doesn't sound right that matching scores differently than multiple choice.  It's plain that partial grading worked in the last version, and it should work in the new one. 

Thanks. (Sorry for the venting.  It gets very frustrating to lose time struggling with a program that worked once upon a time.) 

Lpicsmith
Community Member

I am currently avoiding new quizzes altogether because of the glitch with matching. To be honest, this seems like an easy fix and I am not sure why it would not have been addressed already. I am also wondering how any teaching consultant would have thought this made sense. 

tryggvimar
Community Explorer

I want to support this request for partial scoring in matching questions.