New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
cejones
Community Explorer

@khahn1 The link just showed up when I logged into Canvas yesterday.  It is gone today.  No idea how far and wide the survey might be distributed.  But 'do you find Canvas to be trustworthy' was the one and only question.  And you could make a comment.  Weird.

ryoder
Community Explorer

Instead of voting, we now have these idea conversations. Looking at this idea, I find that only 325 people have rated it as high priority. I think there are many more with this concern.

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.01.33 AM.png

We need to encourage colleagues to "Upvote" the ratings to 5 by many more people to get the attention of Canvas. Send your colleagues to this link. Have them sign in and rate this concern as a 5. That may get the attention of Canvas workers. https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Community/How-do-idea-conversations-work-in-the-Instructure-Commu...

mcolucci
Community Member

Yes, this needs to happen.

epacheco
Community Novice

It looks like question #1 is a matching question. "There is not an option to assign partial credit for Matching questions." You need to have an option for partial credit on everything. 

Thank you.

patmillar
Community Member

Wow, I didn't realize this had been a concern so long. This is a huge issue and makes it very time consuming for teachers who are using matching because we have to manually regrade very quiz!

sfbrazil
Community Novice

We definitely need this.

ML11
Community Member

Crazy how stupid this is, to have automatic grading that has to be manually adjusted every time. What in the world is the purpose of that? What were the developers thinking? This feature is supposed to save me time and it's NOT!!!!!! It's causing more work and frustration! Plus it causes serious panic among my students and parents when they see the inaccurately low scores. Yes, echoing multiple others that the partial credit option needs to be added for matching, categorization, ordering, EVERY QUESTION TYPE POSSIBLE.

hochmucr
Community Participant

I am tired of waiting for some movement on this issue. All teachers know this is a no-brainer. Please find someone to fix this. It worked in the classic quizzes - why take it away.

AmyYork
Community Member

The new quizzes layout and testing flat form is horrible. It is way less functional and user friendly that the original platform. This needs to be majorly overhauled or the old quiz type should continue to be available until everything is fixed.

The matching questions cannot award partial credit. That means it I have 10 matching terms, if a student gets two mixed up they get 0 points unless I go through and manually change every. single. student. It completely negates the ease of using on online testing format. I may as well have them submit on a word document and manually grade the that way.

If there is an error is the test that is caught after students ahve taken a test every test needs to be manually changed. It is insane.

None of this happened with the old quizzes. Why are you moving to an inferior version of quizzes.... you are literally removing functionality the program once had instead of adding anything useful.

PLEASE FIX.

LauraJensen
Community Member

So disappointing to see the partial credit issue has been voted on since 2018. Our district is Microsoft/Canvas. Microsoft Teams pushes out innovative updates monthly. Canvas needs to hire  additional software engineers, when a basic programing flaw has not been addressed and updated in the last 3 years.