New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
lthompson2
Community Participant

We need this for matching, as well as multiple answer, categorization, and ordering.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having self-graded questions if teachers have to go back through and check each one to adjust points--many teachers just won't use them because it's a major nuisance.  These are great question types, but in the classroom (and even on standardized tests), students can earn partial credit.  I'd like to see Canvas grading more reflect how most teachers grade assignments.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

This is a no-brainer and thanks for bringing it up. Who ever heard of getting all or nothing for a 10 point matching question? I was so excited when I learned about quizzes.next, and all the cool question types, until I learned that each question was all or nothing. And this is a total deal breaker. Sorry to see such a potentially great tool go unused. 

jayoder
Community Participant

Can this one be amended for all of the ones Lindsey mentioned???

Its such a hard sell to my faculty now that they realized its all or nothing..

ayoder
Community Novice

Yes. yes yes yes yes.

Students that I work with recently memorized the South American countries and their capitals.
Had to do 2 separate matching groups on quizzes.next.

Got 0/10 because for each group they missed one of the matching. 

jhawkins2
Community Novice

Yes Please!

I had a 30 point categories question.  If the kids missed just on item, then they got a 0/30.  Thankfully I was just using it for practice, and not for credit.

pkellygoss
Community Participant

Absolutely. I don't understand why it isn't that way, because (I think) the legacy quiz editor automatically gives fractional partial credit if the number of marks and number of questions aren't evenly divisible. 

The Quizzes.Next quizzes *look* a bit more modern and responsive than the legacy ones did, but they aren't really a functionality upgrade yet.

rlacey
Community Novice

We need this for matching, as well as multiple answer, categorization, and ordering.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having self-graded questions if teachers have to go back through and check each one to adjust points--many teachers just won't use them because it's a major nuisance.

mmiller13
Community Member

Partial credit on matching questions (or any item with multiple "steps)" must be a must. Without it, it basically renders those question types useless. 

sarah_whipple
Community Explorer

The lack of this feature is the reason I have not been using quiz.next and have still been using the old form. I would rather use a different platform entirely than have a student get 0 on a 20 point question because they answered one question incorrectly.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Just as a cross reference (that I'm not seeing here, surprisingly), please see https://community.canvaslms.com/people/Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl/blog/2018/12/09/13-features-... . I will cross-reference this idea there as well.