New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
plisi
Community Explorer

As others have noted, the new quizzes in Canvas has great question types, but the lack of grading options makes it useless to me. My goal of Canvas quizzes has always been to create a meaningful assessment that is graded by Canvas.

1. I need partial credit options on ALL question types.  

2. I need the ability to use MathType or a similar program on ALL question and answer blanks for teachers AND students.

jawall
Community Explorer

This needs to be changed.  This makes the matching function essentially useless as a question type.  This was reported over 3 years ago, why has this not been fixed? 

Paulkr
Community Member

We just made a quiz and realized after 90 of our students took it that this is the case. We now have to go and manually grade their tests.  I found the forum and I would like to help push this forward.  With the COVID-19 shift to online and districts mandating we use this platform, this is something that should be mainlined through development.

I agree with this previously posted statement: We need this for matching, as well as multiple answer, categorization, and ordering.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having self-graded questions if teachers have to go back through and check each one to adjust points--many teachers just won't use them because it's a major nuisance.  These are great question types, but in the classroom (and even on standardized tests), students can earn partial credit.  I'd like to see Canvas grading more reflect how most teachers grade assignments.

rachelmerk
Community Explorer

ABSOLUTELY! This makes grading so much easier. I am turned off of New Quizzes just because they aren't all coded for partial credit. All of nothing creates anxiety in the kids because they automatically think they did worse than they really did. Make the assessment show what they truly scored.

rachelmerk
Community Explorer

This still hadn't been updated, despite a Note announcement 4-28-20 saying it has. I just took my assessment using the preview option, and it gave me zero when I didn't match them all correctly.

agny12
Community Member

YES this has to be added, it is outrageous that the new quizzes don't give partial credit where the old ones did! 

lynne_cohen
Community Member

Adding my voice - this would dramatically improve the usefulness of New Quizzes.

jim_shaffer1
Community Explorer

Please make this change.  This is necessary. 

karenkm14
Community Member

Agreed. Adding my voice to the request for partial credit. I can count, but this makes it more work to grade *(and the kids flip out when they see that they scored 0/20 for one wrong answer)

jcampane
Community Member

Good heavens, YES!!!  I have kids that PANIC when they have one thing wrong in one of these sections and they get a zero.  12 things to categorize...get one out of place and no matter how I set the points it's a big old ZERO.  They freak out!  They're just middle schoolers, poor things!  It's very demeaning and discouraging for them.  I'M BEGGING SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!!! 

AND it's wasting my time...I'm working 12-18 hours per day even on the weekends through online learning with COVID.  I don't have time to explain over and over to my students why they DON'T have a 62% on an activity or quiz when it looks an awful lot like they do.  And I don't have time to manually change every one either.  This is an URGENT issue!!!  This aspect of Canvas is not only stressing my kids out, it is contributing to the fact that I have zero time for my family or myself.  I mean, come on people.  Canvas is wonderful in soooo many ways (once you get used to things)...I often sing praises about it...but when it falls short like this, it really seems to belly flop.  How hard can it be to offer partial credit (although I'll be the 1st to admit I'm not a tech person, so maybe it's harder than I think)?