New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
Community Explorer

Are changes being considered?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@44472 , we will post directly to this thread when we have an update to share, so please continue to follow here.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

Don't hold your breath, Natalie. Many, many of us have been holding ours

until we're blue in the face.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Looking at the Quizzes roadmap - User Group: New Quizzes  then this request (and presumably also Categorisation and Ordering) might possible fall into Q2 2020 (Partial Scoring) or  possibly the Ongoing feature additions and improvements slot (with no real time scale so I assume) after Q3 2021.

It is frustrating that a number of features for New Quizzes either do not have parity with old quizzes eg Matching, Multiple Select Answers (which is now a much less effective Fill in the Blank option) or have not yet been designed to make best use of features eg no consistent use of RCE across all elements.

Is there an expectation that by July 2021, when Classic Quizzes are sunset-ed, we will at least have parity with New Quizzes? 

For more details - https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2020/03/12/new-quizzes-to-replace-classic-quizz... (Mar 2020)

richard_gardner
Community Participant

If classic quizzes are terminated, and the new quizzes do not yet give partial credit, I will raise a fuss with my institution, hopefully with the help of my colleagues, and try to convince my institution to abandon Canvas. I think a lot of us nationwide would be ready to do something similar.

But there is no reason this should take until July 2021 to fix this. I’m not a software expert, but it seems like an expert could fix this partial credit issue in a few minutes. That this has not happened demonstrates the institutional incompetence of Canvas/Estructure.

lthompson2
Community Participant

I completely agree. There are enough other software programs, including

the original quizzes, that have this feature. I know each program works

differently, but I also know enough about programming to know that you can

take from one program and adapt it to another--it still takes time, but

more like a few weeks and not a few years; this just clearly hasn't been a

priority for Canvas. I'd like to see the company spend more time

prioritizing the needs of their current customers using their current

products and less time purchasing new products, or they run the risk of

losing us.

Lindsey Thompson

Professional Development Coordinator

lthompson@delcomschools.org

Delaware Community Schools

Delta Middle School

9800 N. County Road 200 E.

Muncie, IN 47303

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 1:48 PM richard.gardner@svu.edu <

Community Explorer

I would love to see this change, but the likelihood is low. This post was created in September of 2018 and nothing has been changed.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

You may also want to know that there is a parallel request for all types of Partial credit questions here https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12880-partial-credit-for-matching-categorization-and-sorting-q... currently with 373 votes. You can add your vote (and comment) there.

panagiotou
Community Member

To the Canvas developers team: Please grant the partial credit/marking for all questions request NOW. Make it happen! It has been too long, way too long. Also, bring back the text type/ no question feature of classic quizzes. New Quizzes looks like it is on a Beta state.

panagiotou
Community Member

It feels like, knock-knock, no one is home...