New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
brad_kirk
Community Explorer

Even Blackboard has had this feature for many years

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I have voted for this but, I hope this would be a setting, an option rather than the only thing available. There are times we need all or nothing, especially with our nursing program.

ccalhoun1
Community Novice

We continue to use the legacy version of Quizzes because of this one issue. Our teachers are missing out on the newest features of Quizzes.Next due to this one issue. There seems to be a lack of concern over fixing this after so many have voiced our frustrations with the inability to choose all or nothing or partial credit. 

lthompson2
Community Participant

I agree.  I'm frustrated that so many months in, they still haven't included this feature, and this isn't even a new feature; they had it in the original.  This is causing significant frustration with my staff, and for the most part, they're refusing to use Quizzes.Next because of this one issue, and I don't blame them.  

susie_tattersha
Community Novice

I won't use quizzes next again until they fix this problem.

susie_tattersha
Community Novice

You should have heard my students freak out about just missing one question when I first used quizzes next for matching. I thought no way this could be true that in a matching question they have to get a perfect score or get a 0. 

richard_gardner
Community Participant

I cannot use quizzes next for the same reason. Now that someone went to all the work to create quizzes.next, wouldn’t it be logical to make it useable? I’ve never heard in my life of a matching question that’s all or none. And while I’m not a computer programmer, it doesn’t seem that it would be that hard to fix it.

dgergens
Community Novice

100% partial credit functionality needs to be addition to Matching Questions and Multiple Drop Down questions.  I hate beta-testing these new and limited course management software packages!!!!  What were the developers thinking!!!  Been teaching online for 20 years, WebCT to Blackboard now been forced to use Canvas, what a shame.

susie_tattersha
Community Novice

You should have heard my students freak out about just missing one question when I first used quizzes next. I thought no way this could be true that matching they have to get a perfect score or get a 0. 

susie_tattersha
Community Novice

We shouldn't have to vote on this. Giving credit for right answers on matching should be automatic; it's in the original quizzes. Do we actually have to wait until enough people vote for this to get functionality that we had before?  And not only that, we are going to be forced to use quizzes.next soon so all the work we do in quizzes will be useless in the future. Since I refuse to use it until they fix it, all the question banks for tests and quizzes I make cannot be transferred easily. Users will have to manually create all tests, quizzes and question banks again for quizzes.next. Regardless, I can't believe we have to vote about this.