New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

It is hugely frustrating as many of the solutions have strong pedagogical reasoning behind them and not just tech ones. What is particularly annoying with something like New Quizzes are why these were not implemented in the first design - especially if you are talking about a replacement tool where parity should be a minimum baseline. 

The silence is the most concerning. Why not make a statement about the longest ideas. Be open, upfront and transparent. At least that way people might understand the underlying issues/reasons for them not being implemented?

lbyrd1
Community Novice

It would be nice to denote the points for each item they select correctly and subtract points when they answer incorreclty. on Multiple choice questions. We have students that mark every answer on multiple choice. We need a way to penalize for marking all questions. We can do this in blackboard and are not converting to canvas until Fall Semester. I hope this changes by then. 

richard_gardner
Community Participant

It won’t change by then. Some really important no-brainer issues have languished for years without getting fixed.

lthompson2
Community Participant

Lisa, multiple choice questions only allow for one option to be selected.  It's the multiple answer questions that they can choose more than one.  On the original quizzes, it does subtract when students choose an incorrect answer (so if they had to choose two and got one correct and one wrong, they got a 0); that set up poses a problem, though, when you want to award students partial credit and they did follow directions and chose the correct number, just not the correct answers.  Assuming, at the rate Canvas is making changes and fixes to New Quizzes, we'll be lucky to even get one fix rather than multiple options for how we want such a question to be graded, I think a better solution is Canvas to limit the responses based on how many correct answers there are--that way kids can't choose every answer.

jessicaelaine24
Community Member

Having moved all my classes online (like everyone else this semester), I was excited that at least grading tests would be more efficient. Instead, I'm having to micromanage the automatic grading because there's no partial credit on matching... AND since I randomized my question order and there's no "grade by question" feature, I'm having to search through all the questions for each student to find the matching ones to regrade. HOURS AND HOURS of my day lost when I could be actually helping students or helping my family with quarantine activities or literally anything else! So frustrating!

richard_gardner
Community Participant

As I’ve said over and over and over on this forum, this is a NO BRAINER. It should have been made right to begin with. But I’m not sure Canvas is listening. This is not some special feature, this is just basic common sense.

rfedewa
Community Novice

Absolutely agreed. This needs to be done before the 2020-2021 school years starts, please!

Community Explorer

I wish I would have known partial credit was not an option before I created and assigned this "new" quiz. Now I have to manually grade 150 quizzes. Not happy right now. new quizzes 

Community Explorer

I just started using New Quizzes after a quick online training for distance learning. The trainers mentioned that the items self score. This is great!! So, I created and assigned a "new quiz" with matching questions. I had 13 matching items so I made it 13 points. I soon learned after many emails from students that Canvas scored these questions as ALL or NONE. The old quiz platform assigned partial credit, so I incorrectly assumed that this platform would do the same. Now I have to manually score about 150 quizzes. Manual scoring includes A LOT of click through and scrolling for EACH quiz. I see this has been a request in "ideas" for over a year on Canvas. Has anyone looked at this requests/ideas by teachers? Or even considered it? At the very least, disclose this scoring ALL or NONE in your trainings. I thought I set up my new quiz incorrectly when this happened as I am new to the New Quizzes. I then chatted with an agent and the agent linked me to this page and apologized for the inconvenience. newquizzes 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@44472 , we are sorry to hear that the all-or-none grading aspect was not covered in the training, and we hope you will let the training facilitators know. Please refer to our documentation on this: How do I create a Matching question in New Quizzes?