[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

203 Comments
PegChecchi
Community Explorer

Adding my voice to the chorus. Thanks!

jmillner1
Community Explorer

In favor! All questions with multiple answer formats should allow for partial credit. 

CharityTaboas
Community Member

As of Fall 2022, I really appreciate the partial credit for Matching. I want to utilize Categorization and Ordering too, but they do not offer partial credit. Regrading those is a lot of work with over 200 students that I don't have time for, so I don't use. 

SueBehrens
Community Member

This is absolutely needed.  How frustrating for students to not be able to get partial credit.  I use multiple attempts and students tell me that they like being able to "solve" the quiz - while LEARNING!!  They can't do that without the proper feedback.

CharityTaboas
Community Member

Exactly Sue! I give my students 3 chances on their homework assignments, but they don't get that for exams.

sarah_whipple
Community Explorer

Partial credit for Matching has been fixed, but we still need Categorization and Sorting. Really, every question type should have the partial credit option to toggle off or on.

LImondi
Community Member

Having no partial credit for categorization and ordering questions is quite frustrating. Please add partial credit grading options on these questions ASAP!

RichHowey
Community Novice

As many other posts have mentioned, this isn't really a request for a new feature but is a request to fix a bug that never should have been implemented this way in the first place.

I am glad this bug has been fixed for matching questions.  But it needs to be fixed for categorization questions too!  Please implement partial credit for categorization questions IMMEDIATELY!!!!

philrice
Community Member

Still a problem today! 

mvonboke
Community Member

I find it hard to believe that the Canvas "New Quizzes" categorization type questions are scored as strictly all or nothing.  I really miss Schoology from my previous school.