[New Quizzes] Proportionate Time Adjustment Accommodations

0 Likes
Problem statement:

The current "moderate" feature in the new quizzes only offers "Time adjustments" using in hours and minutes. The problem: most if not all time adjustments I have seen as an instructor specify time adjustments in proportion. Also, there is a common scenario in which the quizzes of a course take different duration times--a regular quiz and midterm and final, for example. A use case I came across today, for example, has one ADA letter reads "Student requires extended [time] (2x) on exams." In the current moderate system, such an adjustment is not possible across all quizzes, if quizzes are of different duration times. I have quizzes that take 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 20 minutes. This renders the global moderation feature un-useful, and requires the instructor to go into each and every quiz for moderation that complies with the ADA accommodation.

Proposed solution:

In addition to the current "time adjustments" feature of hours and minutes, there should be a proportionate option: 1.5x extended time, 2x, 2.5x , 3x, etc.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta,designer

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

RSMacLeod
Community Explorer

Yes, precisely the problem I have every year.

Since the new quizzes are not working for us yet, I would add that a feature that would apply to all quizzes for specific students would save me bundles of time.  Now I need to add accommodations for each of my weekly quizzes and my exams for each student separately.

What is also annoying is at the moment, I need to carry out these tedious steps only AFTER I publish the quiz, which is just the moment of rush when I least have time for it.

Thanks,
Rob

cvalle
Community Participant

Canvas is actually already capable of doing this although it is a bit easy to miss. Instead of clicking “moderate” you want to click the “pencil” icon for editing, then you’ll see an option for a relative time multiplier that will apply to all future quizzes for that student. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

@cvalle - Thank you for pointing this out! Yes, the "time limit multiplier" is the third option. This means that @nesterd's request is available for instructors using New Quizzes. Also to note (like cvalle mentioned), these accommodations stay with the student throughout the entire course. It'll be a notable timesaver, especially if there are many quizzes/tests throughout the term. 

How do I add accommodations for a student in New Quizzes? 

The heading of Add Time Limit Multiplier will illustrate the step as well.

nesterd
Community Participant
Author

Thanks to everyone for the prompt response! Thanks also for pointing out the pencil icon, which leads to the time adjustments > multiplier. Much appreciated!!!

A couple of things.

1. Would Canvas consider putting this handy-dandy multiplier in the "Moderate" option? Why just have the "add time" option there? 

2. Could there be, as suggested by @RSMacLeod above, just a separate Accommodations tab, where these adjustments can be made, before quizzes are even made? Imagine a use case where an instructor needs to add a quiz, or remakes a quiz, mid-course even, and forgets an accommodation. 

3. When I contacted Instructure support about this issue, they had no idea about the time multiplier function. I used all the buzzwords -- accommodations, ADA, etc. -- and it was suggested to me I made a feature request. So it seems to me that some design/UX tweaking would be in order?

nesterd
Community Participant
Author

Oh, and -- blue-sky thinking here -- what would be great, when an instructor goes to Moderate and adds time, and then tries to use the Accommodations > Pencil > Time limit multiplier, if there were a prompt to X out the previously added time. Because now, to use the Time limit multiplier that's nestled inside a pencil icon (was it for notes? that's what I thought before), I need to go back into each individual student and take off the time added to comply with the accommodation letters.  

Maybe that feature/option is there somewhere, but I don't see it?