[New Quizzes] New Quizzes Question Type - Drawing

Many of our fully-online courses (particularly in science and math) require that students draw a diagram or process in their assessments, and when combined with proctoring tools, this becomes a complicated process.  The current workaround is that students download a PDF as a question type within a proctored exam and submit this later as an assignment submission, but there are many technological and time-consuming issues with this process for both students and instructors, including confusion about the numerous steps, printing issues, scanning issues, uploading, file type errors, verifying that students completed the drawing within the time allotted, and others. 

This would be vastly improved and streamlined if instructors could simply create a "drawing" type question directly in Canvas where students would use a mouse or other device to input lines and text that would then be manually graded by the instructor.

It would be a very helpful function to allow instructors to annotate drawing corrections directly on the student's entry when grading.

Note: Quizzes.next currently presents a number of technological issues with our proctoring tools, and instructors have expressed that using a multiple choice question where students would simply recognize the correct drawing from a list is unacceptable for their learning outcomes.

drawing‌ hand drawing and drafting‌ free draw remote proctoring math‌ science online science labs online learning experince #onlinelearning‌ simplifying quiz‌ exam question

Added to Theme

73 Comments
dvander
Community Member

This is such a good idea, and I can see it being used in just about every discipline. Please consider implementing it.

mbirdsong
Community Member

Agree! As an ELA teacher, we like students to be able to highlight, draw or annotate on the document so we can see the path they are using to correct misconceptions and to reinforce the use of strategies.

catherine_uvaro
Community Member

I teach chemistry and this would be an AMAZING addition. I could ask students to draw molecular structures and other diagrams (like phase diagrams or heating curves)

randerson9
Community Novice

100% agree

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

Drawing tool! Annotation on diagrams - it seems like it would be a little tweak to the RTE? 

krissmith
Community Member

i too suggest to add this feature to canvas so that this drawing tool help students a lot for practicing and doing assignments even after completing online courses

klavinss
Community Member

This would be a really nice addition to the toolbox.

hwalter1
Community Participant

This needs to happen. Please do it. Quizzes are horrible without it

hlambright615
Community Member

I would love for my students to have the ability to draw in online quizzes.  As it is right now, I have them draw on paper and then submit that paper to me separately.  I would much rather have it all online.

rblumjose
Community Explorer

Sorry, fairly new here and just wondering how to upvote an idea? Just by commenting here, or is there something specific I should be doing? Right now I'm relying on external tools for the kids to write (like Kami, for example), but it would be soooo much easier to have a drawing tool available within Canvas assignments!