New Quizzes Question Types - Completing a Table

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Often we need to reorganise our current questions where we ask students to complete a table. For example, a table may have 3 columns as below and students need to insert 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages (example below).

Tool Advantages Disadvantages
Hammer <student to complete> <student to complete>
Saw <student to complete> <student to complete>

Currently students have to copy and paste the table themselves into an essay response. This is cumbersome and some students don't do it. It would be wonderful to have a tool to build a table indicating where students need to type their response.

This may also be useful for having students complete forms - such as an example of a financial document (tax invoice) or a workplace incident form for assessment.

35 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

You may interested in reading this post on New Quizzes - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/New-Quizzes-looking-forward-2021/bc-p/428354#M13... and then adding your comments!

woodk
Community Explorer

Adding on to this idea (which I fully support and would love to have), I would like to suggest:

Being able to set up one question with multiple answer types, not just multiple fill in the blanks/multiple answers.

Ex: A question asks the student for a numerical answer, plus an indication if it is an increase or decrease over x.   The answer would be something like "12.98" and "Increase"

Being able to have either a drop down or multiple choice with "increase" and "decrease" as options, plus a numerical answer would be great.  

Now, I typically set these up as multiple fill in the blanks, but what happens when a student types "increase" incorrectly? It's marked as incorrect.  Same as if they add a "$" to the number, which is not possible with numerical answers. While I can predict that they might type "Inc" or "Increase" or "It would increase", or "12.98" or "$12.98" and input those as possible answers, I shouldn't have to do that. 

Likewise, I could set this up as two separate questions, but then, what could have been a quiz with only 10 of these questions quickly turns into 20 questions (more work) and makes the students panic at how many questions there are.

Overall, I think more flexibility with being able to incorporate multiple answer TYPES in individual questions would be incredibly helpful.

pascalea
Community Member

In regular Canvas Quizzes, you can embed a data table and students can fill in the blanks. This is not available in New Canvas Quizzes and it would be extremely helpful to be able to embed a data table that students can fill in. 

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Would suggest you read this post https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/New-Quizzes-Users/Priority-Gathering-for-the-New-Quizzes-Roadmap/... and then add your opinions to the New Quizzes Priority 2021 poll - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9K9RBBJ

colleen
Community Participant

@pascalea you have mentioned that you can embed a data table in the old quizzes. Is this a table that is completable for students? How do you do this as we have been looking for this for ages and haven't been able to find anything?

Estefania
Community Explorer

Hi @colleen 

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but the way I was doing it with the Classic Quizzes is using the Fill multiple blanks question type. I created a table in the RCE and then placed the blanks I wanted students to complete within the cells. With the New Quizzes the best workaround I have been able to come up with is to create the table in the RCE, number the cells that students must complete, and then have the numbered gaps to fill underneath. I am attaching some screenshots below.

Classic Quizzes:

Old quizzes.PNG

New Quizzes:

New quizzes.PNG

I much prefer the first option: more straightforward for students and better for bigger tables. 

I hope this helps!

Estefanía

kerributtery
Community Participant

@Estefania that is a pretty good work-around. I hope we get something better, but I really like how you've put this together to create an option in the meantime! Thanks for sharing.

kerributtery
Community Participant

@Stef_retired is there any update on this sort of functionality on the roadmap?

colleen
Community Participant

Hey @Estefania

This is a great work around for single words and will definitely keep it in mind. What we need though is for students to complete sentences or paragraphs within the table. So we might start with this idea and see what we can do with it. 🙂

Thanks

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kerributtery All updates will be posted to the New Quizzes roadmap as they become available.