New Quizzes: Question option that gives full credit for ANY entry

0 Likes
(3)

I, and many teachers I have spoken with would LOVE the option of having a Canvas Quiz question option that marks the question correct with any entry. Not a survey. Part of a graded quiz. This way, if there is one or two questions in a quiz that just need an entry specific to that student (like their fitness test score or their goal), then Canvas will grade that as full credit no matter what they type in the entry box. As I've reached out for help, I keep getting work around options. But if this was an option for teachers, it would save SO MUCH TIME not having to go in and look at 300 or so students' weekly quizzes to see if students entered an answer specific to their situation for a couple of questions that could easily be graded by Canvas. The question would not have a correct answer. A simple entry of anything would give them credit for that question.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Hi, @RACHELGRIFFITHS !

Thanks! We'll move this idea forward for consideration as a new auto-graded question type in New Quizzes. (Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation.)

Is your school using New Quizzes yet? It's admittedly yet another workaround, but I can envision using one of the answer choice settings in fill-in-the-blank (perhaps "Contains") to accomplish this:  How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in Ne...   

We hope you will give the New Quizzes suggestion a try. 

RACHELGRIFFITHS
Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

Most of us are weary of switching over to the New Quizzes because a bunch of teachers tried and ran into a whole slew of complications. I would switch in a heartbeat, though, if there was an option to choose a questions that gave students full credit for that question if they made any entry whatsoever.

It sounds like your work around suggestion would not work for entries relating to that specific question, such as THEIR fitness test score for a specific test or THEIR fitness goal for the end of the year.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I haven't tested it myself in a live course, @RACHELGRIFFITHS , but I was hopeful that the "contains" option would work (allows for the text to exist anywhere in student responses). For example, the question could ask students, "What is your fitness goal for the end of the year? You'll receive full credit for your response as long as your response contains the word the." Maybe this will do it? 

RACHELGRIFFITHS
Community Member

Good to know. Thank you.

AkwasiOpoku-Dak
Community Participant

I just wanted to second Rachel's request. This is an incredibly helpful feature to have. (It is available in Blackboard.) While I appreciate the suggested workarounds, there really is no replacement for just allowing the option to assign full credit for all responses to an open-ended question. It is a huge time saver for instructors and I suspect many will appreciate this. Thanks.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.