New Quizzes: Quiz Accommodation to Reduce Answer Choices

0 Likes
(13)

Provide a quiz accomodation which removes one incorrect answer choice from selected students. For example, if I provide four choices with one correct answer, the accomodation would only have 3 choices with one correct answer. 

20 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

aklopp
Community Member

In quizzes, it would be nice to have a moderate quiz option where students with IEPs, 504s, and special needs can have an answer choice eliminated from their view of the quiz questions.  This would eliminate the need of creating a duplicate quiz and eliminating one of the incorrect answer choices in each question manually.  By adding this feature option, it would allow for a more seamless "sync to SIS" because the quiz would be assigned to everybody even though a few students are receiving a modification on the quiz.

carol_williams
Community Novice

Thank you!  This would be an excellent intervention, as quizzes for Middle School are quite technical and require multiple readings to understand for some of my IEP/504 students.  Would the optional test answer to be eliminated, be up to the teacher, or randomly selected?

tpurdy
Community Explorer

This would be very helpful - it would eliminate the need to create a totally separate quiz for the IEP students who require this accommodation. 

debbie_johnson1
Community Explorer

It would be nice to be able to assign specific students to receive this accommodation just as we can give extra time. This is one of the most common IEP accommodations a teacher has to make for assessment. 

MicheleDudley
Community Novice

Hey all! 

We have been using canvas quizzes a lot this year and it has been difficult for the students that have "3 answer choices" on their accommodations for the IEP instead of 4.

I wish we were able to moderate the quiz and add an accommodation that would delete one of the answer choices for our students that need it.  Then we can easily put the quiz in the modules instead of making multiple quizzes. 

Texas123
Community Novice

This is a wonderful idea and greatly needed for our students! Please give us this option Canvas programmers! 🙂 

stephenjharvey
Community Novice

This would be a great tool! And would save so much time. We need to add this!

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

This absolutely needs to be a thing! At the very least, let us duplicate question banks in new quizzes. We are legally required to modify these quizzes and tests. It is frustrating we cannot just check a box to eliminate an answer choice for the entire exam. Ideally it would be nice to just be able to accommodate certain kids so we do not have to make two versions. If i can give select kids more time, and an extra chance, this should be an option as well.

In the meantime, this is my solution: 

Make 2 different exams from the same question bank. Each question in the question bank has 4 answer choices, the 4th choice is never the correct answer.

For the unmodified version 1, I shuffle the answer choices so the 4th answer choice can now potentially be the correct answer.

For the modified version 2, reduced choice required, I tell those kids to just ignore the 4th answer choice as their exam is not going to be shuffled..

dalston1
Community Participant

I bank my questions in the item banks. I cannot easily just remove answer choice because it will remove them from the regular test, too. I have to create separate questions in the item bank (I may be wrong about this, but this is the only way I know to do it). This is burdensome. If someone would fix it like the requests above, that would be great!

mlahey
Community Member

This option/feature would be most helpful.  Also would make SIS gradebook syncing less messy as I have to create 2 quizzes one assigned to all then the other assigned to just a couple of students.

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

This needs more traction as this is essential to the K-12 environment.

jlsford
Community Novice

Can Canvas please make a setting for multiple choice tests that eliminates 1 answer? Maybe a setting that we could click that eliminates a wrong answer from each question created? Special education teachers and students with IEPs would benefit from this.  Thanks

JohnDeLeo
Community Novice

I too would love to see this feature. Classroom teachers come to me all the time asking for an easy way to do this, and I do not have a good answer for them.

winnie_milner
Community Participant

Teachers using Canvas simply must have the option to eliminate one answer option. To not offer this does at least one of the following things, all of which are undesirable:

1) In order to most simply alter a test, it would require teachers & students to leave the Canvas instance by printing out a quiz and manually eliminating a solution. 

2) Creating more work for the teachers by making multiple tests. 

One really wouldn't think this would be so hard to accomplish. There should be so many automation opportunities that support students with special needs. I wish you had at least on well versed special education teacher on your staff so that simple things like this could be anticipated rather than begged for years on end. 

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

Of all the things I want, this is the only thing that I need. Tired of making multiple versions of the same thing. Such a waste of time. This should be a priority over lots of other things. 

mlahey
Community Member

I have teachers with IEP students asking for this accommodation all the time.  When I look in the course guides this is a suggestion and then it says "solved" when I click to "jump to solution" it says to submit as a feature idea.  Clearly not "solved".

AbigailPagryzin
Community Member

This would take the burden off teachers who are just following a student's IEP accommodations.

AbigailPagryzin
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived