[New Quizzes] RCE to match Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please feel free to turn this feature idea off if it's been addressed (or on it's way?) but I am not initially seeing it. With the new Rich Content Editor rolling into Canvas (June 2020), can I request that we have one RCE across Canvas (inclusive of the Equation Editor)?

I'd like to request New Quizzes use the same RCE as within a Canvas course. (or at a minimum can the icons and locations of options be the same?)

Training and supporting a single content creation tool for rich text allows for a more seamless adoption of New Quizzes and ongoing consistency. Faculty and students will see the New Quizzes as part of Canvas a bit more easily. (and no need to reinvent the wheel Smiley Happy).

New RCE (Wiris-like Equation Editor)

337050_Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.35.16 AM.png

New Quizzes RCE (MathQuill Equation Editor)

337051_Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.36.38 AM.png

Melanie

Added to Theme

65 Comments
meaganlopez
Community Member

The New Quizzes RCE does not include the option to record audio directly into the question and answer choices, only upload already recorded audio from third parties like Audacity.

For ease and user experience the RCE should include the same audio recording tools as Classic Quizzes.

torimhicks
Community Member

Completely agree! This was such a great feature in Classic Quizzes and I know it would make teachers feel less stressed to have the option in this new format.

nixbuckner
Community Member

Oral testing is one of the most commonly used modifications for Quizzes.  Recording each question individually and then uploading a file is, to put it politely, unwieldy.  

padoughe
Community Explorer

The RCE includes an accessibility checker that is NOT included in the New Quizzes editor. This is crucial for ensuring that faculty can create fully accessible content and students have equitable access to information.

brsmith1
Community Novice

Add the RCE in the Instruction area to easily upload a document

DUANEHANSEN
Community Novice

In the classic quiz format there were a lot more options for uploads. For example, in one module page I could upload my notes or readings and then have students take a quiz on the material. I have been doing this routinely for two years. With the new format, I can upload media files and links but not files. To use the new format, I need to upload my notes/ reading materials, then create a separate quiz. Consequently, I keep using the classic format instead of using the new format. 

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Hello and sorry for the late response. 

I'm the PM for Quizzes and have been working through priorities for 2021. There is a post that outlines priority and focus. Here:https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/Quizzes-Planned-Priorities-and-Roadmap-2021/bc-p...

* Spoiler alert, Integrating the New RCE is high on the list! You can expect this in the not too distant future. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

KTCarnahan
Community Novice

I am not familiar with RCE, however, I am frustrated with the inability to edit the HTML within the new quizzes instruction section. I have been using it in the classic quizzes to change size of imported images - ie - width="100%". I see no way to format photos in the new quizzes, only add them. 

The lack of html editor also hurts my ability to add in the html for the correct dashes within text. This is important since I teach typography. If html is going away then there needs to be the ability to ad em or en dashes in text as appropriate.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KTCarnahan  This feature will accommodate the ability to switch to HTML, as when it's implemented the Rich Content Editor (RCE) will be the same RCE that is used throughout Canvas.

By the way, maybe this will save you some time. The keyboard shortcuts for em- and en-dashes (on my Mac) are:

Ctrl-Shift-Minus creates an em dash —

Option-Minus creates an en-dash –