[New Quizzes] RCE to match Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please feel free to turn this feature idea off if it's been addressed (or on it's way?) but I am not initially seeing it. With the new Rich Content Editor rolling into Canvas (June 2020), can I request that we have one RCE across Canvas (inclusive of the Equation Editor)?

I'd like to request New Quizzes use the same RCE as within a Canvas course. (or at a minimum can the icons and locations of options be the same?)

Training and supporting a single content creation tool for rich text allows for a more seamless adoption of New Quizzes and ongoing consistency. Faculty and students will see the New Quizzes as part of Canvas a bit more easily. (and no need to reinvent the wheel Smiley Happy).

New RCE (Wiris-like Equation Editor)

337050_Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.35.16 AM.png

New Quizzes RCE (MathQuill Equation Editor)

337051_Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.36.38 AM.png

Melanie

Added to Theme

65 Comments
googleisbetter
Community Novice

I would like the option to BOLD questions and answers in the quizzes, especially the new quizzes. In my opinion canvas is not very elementary friendly and this just adds to that opinion. This seems like a pretty basic function that should be automatic. 

MichaelFunk
Community Novice

It would be nice to be able to upload a document  to the quiz instructions. I use the quizzes for reading class, and I like to include a copy of the article/story on the quiz itself. The only ways to do that now is to copy and paste it, but when I do that the formatting is all messed up, so I end up spending more time formatting the text than actually making the quiz. Or I turn it into a picture and upload it, but when I make the picture big enough to read, the words become a little fuzzy and hard to read. I would love it if we could simply upload a document like we can on a regular assignment. 

MBStone
Community Participant

There needs to be a way to add files directly to New Quizzes so that students can download them and use them as references.  Right now your options are to link to an external URL or to upload the file to canvas "files" copy the URL and then link to that.  

Yes I am aware that "stimulus" questions exist. HOWEVER, the charts my students need access to would be far to small to read if I added them to the stimulus questions.  It's also very annoying to students when they have to constantly scroll back up to the top to see the reference chart.  I'm not looking for a work around I'm looking for a streamlined solution.  

fagers
Community Participant

I do not find the option to switch to the HTML editor in New Quizzes. If this were available it might help with the migration of quizzes that have LaTeX generated images...one could (potentially) copy the HTML code found in the ALT tag and paste it into the HTML. I'm not sure if this would work or if the formula would be editable, but it would be worth a try!

The HTML editor is a useful tool, regardless of whether this would be a solution for LaTex coded formulas or not. Please include it.

JuliaKale
Community Member

As a primary teacher, I would like it to be easier to add images in the questions for students. 

RachelSnipes
Community Novice

New Quizzes will let me upload a voice recording or video but I can't record voice or video when creating the quiz like in Old Quizzes. Being able to add voice recordings in New Quizzes will let me provide read-alouds for younger elementary students. Would love to have this ability in both question spaces and answer choice spaces. 

PaigeBagshaw
Community Novice

In the categorization question of a quiz, I would like to be able to type in a math equation that would use exponents/square root symbol. 

Jen_Presley
Community Explorer

The lack of an html editor in New Quizzes is a complete design failure. I can't believe it hasn't been remedied yet...

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

I agree with @Jen_Presley and @fagers - the HTML editor is absolutely necessary.

adrienne_behrma
Community Member

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to access apps in the new quizzes.

I'm a chemistry teacher and I'd like to use Chemtype when I'm making questions. In the old quizzes, you could select an app to use from the menu above the text box of the question you were building. ChemType was one of those apps. In the new quizzes, there's no way (that I can see) of selecting apps. There's MathQuill, but that doesn't have chemical equation features. It's very limited. I'd love to be able to add different apps to the new quizzes like we can to the old quizzes.