New Quizzes: Require Answers to Questions

0 Likes
(5)

There should be a toggle in the New Quizzes feature set that requires answers to be answered and not allow students to submit blank or unanswered questions. 

8 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Steven_S
Community Champion

At the very least there should be a warning when backtracking is disabled that they are submitting a blank response and will not be able to return and update their answer

d_stark
Community Participant

This would be of huge assistance for vocational training where all questions must be graded a pass in order to pass the unit.

Steven_S
Community Champion

@d_stark  I agree that requiring an answer to each question (or even certain specific questions) would be a helpful option in many cases. 

For now you can use module requirements (with each unit as a module) and set up the module requirement for the quiz to "score at least" a perfect score.  Each unit module will then only be complete with a perfect score, and then you can set a final module to treat all the unit modules as prerequisites.  The final module can use a quiz for tracking (if there are no other final requirements) with one simple true false question, "I passed all the unit quizzes," and you can even set it to complete/incomplete grading so that they are marked complete no matter how they respond to that question. 

d_stark
Community Participant

@Steven_S thanks for the ideas, unfortunately, what we're attempting to combat by requiring answers to every question in a quiz before allowing submission is to save our graders time - there's no point in them grading a submission that doesn't have all questions in a quiz answered.

Your point about the module requirement rules is a timely reminder though as we're currently redeveloping how we design course content in Canvas to deliver each unit standard.

LoisEvans
Community Member

Hello,

I work with teachers in Warren County, Va; we are using Canvas as our LMS. The question I am receiving in my inbox is can we set a feature to have the students answer all questions in Canvas Quiz before submitting.

Thank you for your time,

Lois Evans

TIC, Technology Integration Coach

Skyline Middle School

bratsj58
Community Participant

Yes, because my course is a noncredit adult ESL class, I have allowed the students to retake quizzes as a learning experience. Until now, I've had the setting for "Score to Keep" set at "Highest." But today, I noticed that one of my students has begun submitting blank quizzes, and then retaking them after she's seen the answers. I've called her on it, but making it so students HAVE to write answers on their first attempt would mitigate this problem.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.