New Quizzes: Responses in Fractions for Formula Questions

(6)

When problems are created using the formula generator, the answers can only be entered as integers or decimals. Many answers do not display well as a decimal and mathematicians will not want answers as decimals most of the time. 

I propose that fractions are added as an acceptable format for problems that are created using the formula generator. 

This will allow for more accurate answers and prepare students for college and life in a better way. 

After consulting with some computer programmers, without knowing the specifics of the code being used, this should be a simple enough feature to implement. 

Thank you for your time,

Ryan Keith

rkeith@afftonschools.net

10 Comments
karvidson
Community Member

I would like students to be able to enter exact, fractions, answers in canvas quizzes. Right now that answers can only be entered as a decimal. I want students to be able to enter 0.5 or 1/2 and get it correct. 

clarson1
Community Explorer

Fractions and radicals.  In the area were we identify the decimal places and allowances for the answers, there can be a format option for decimal, fraction, or radical.

Algebraic answers would be nice, too.  Dividing polynomials could end up with answers like 3x+1.

The answer line already allows for non-number characters to be entered (Which is annoying when a student is told their percent problem is wrong when they enter the correct answer of 16% instead of just 16.), we just need the computer to recognize those non-number characters when appropriate based on the format selected.

cvalle
Community Participant

Please add fractions as a valid numerical question value.

jimmy_hartford
Community Novice

I agree. Without the capacity to enter fractions, I will have to find some external platform outside of canvas to administer quizzes. 

Zonin_Alexander
Community Member

+1 on this request

PaulRieckhoff
Community Member

Please add. 

jim_matovina
Community Member

I, too, would appreciate the ability for students to provide fractional answers.

jim_matovina
Community Member

Right now, the only way I can do it is with Fill in the Blank questions. That means, I need to make many different questions to adequately stock the database. Being able to provide fractional answers to formula questions would be a nice time-saver.

zwxq
Community Explorer
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived