[New Quizzes] Rich Content Editor (RCE) for Matching Question Types

The Rich Content Editor (RCE) is available to use in *most* quiz question types, but not Matching questions. A lot of our instructors would like to use images, or bold/italicize text, or use other options in quiz answers, and without the RCE they are not able to do that. It needs to be available to use in ALL quiz questions types.

As an example, some of our IT instructors would like to be able to use Matching questions, and have students match an icon with a term/definition. Without being able to use the RCE for the answer spaces, this is not possible.

Please consider making the RCE available for ALL quiz question types.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

88 Comments
crafte
Community Champion

Until the RCE has been made available for matching questions, you might want to consider the very creative method stefaniesanders

described in her document Matching quizzes with images​. She suggested to use the multiple dropdown question type which will allow you to insert images. Very cool!.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the shout-out,  @crafte ! As I mentioned in the resource you referenced, I can't take the credit for having come up with this; as with so many of "my" good ideas, I co-opted it from someone else, in this case Neal Johnson, who contributed the resource to the old community.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

tsawicki
Community Novice

As teachers we need as much flexibility as possible for assessment.  I have had to shy away from some question types in science because I couldn't use superscripts or subscripts.  I hope we see this new quizzing engine by next school year.

jwitulski
Community Participant

I wanted to add my feedback for the embedding of videos and images. This would help greatly when matching information as an American Sign Language teacher and working with students. I used the workaround, it feels confusing for the students this way. I look forward for the opportunity to embed videos/images in matching. 

manders
Community Novice

In math classes, students need to associate functions with graphs, formulas, and other graphic images.  The matching feature does not offer the option to include pictures, which is highly inconvenient.  We need matching to allow us to insert or embed images and formulas. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ellenbcutler
Community Contributor

Oh yes please, please, please. I teach art history. I NEED this. Moodle did it. Why can't Canvas?

ellenbcutler
Community Contributor

As a technophobe and general incompetent, I can't really understand what you mean by "how images would work effectively in the multiple drop-down menu." But I can testify that simple matching--an image matched against text identifiers--is something I have used for years as a professor of Art History. Moodle, our former system, had no problem with this. I also know that using the work-around devised by someone a couple years ago--selecting "multple drop down", creating a two-column table, adding an image to each row, typing [image#] in each row and then typing every alternative in the list separately in the answer fields is arduous and time-consuming. A matching question such as Moodle provided me before, took about 3 minutes to set up for 10 images. The same question now takes about 25 minutes. Again, I am computer-clueless, but the fact that Moodle could do this means to me that the programming know-how is available. Moreover, using images in matching questions would be valuable to nearly every discipline I can think of at every age level from elementary to college/university. 

woodcock_collee
Community Novice

RCE would allow use to upload images and videos.  I teach American Sign Language and would like to be able to do a matching quiz that has a video on one side and an image on the other.