[New Quizzes] Rich Content Editor (RCE) for Matching Question Types

The Rich Content Editor (RCE) is available to use in *most* quiz question types, but not Matching questions. A lot of our instructors would like to use images, or bold/italicize text, or use other options in quiz answers, and without the RCE they are not able to do that. It needs to be available to use in ALL quiz questions types.

As an example, some of our IT instructors would like to be able to use Matching questions, and have students match an icon with a term/definition. Without being able to use the RCE for the answer spaces, this is not possible.

Please consider making the RCE available for ALL quiz question types.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

88 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

One of the ideas - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13273  was put into Cold Storage because it was too generic.

What I don't understand and maybe someone can tell me is how you can have the RCE for the Ordering question type but not for Matching or Categorisation? 

The inconsistencies of the approach to quizzes.next are very frustrating indeed. Why not have the RCE for all question types?

manders
Community Novice

There shouldn’t have to be these tedious work around a for something so simple as adding an rtf to matching questions. If the Angel LMS could do it 10 years ago, why can’t Canvas put it into play? 

arlynda_w_jorge
Community Novice

Yes please!  I love having the online format for tests and quizzes, but there are so many things that I need to be able to do in order to properly assess my students.  

Please please please talk to teachers of technical classes when you develop tools.  We are constantly forced to use online tools that are suppose to make our lives easier, but don't do the things that we need them to.

It would be a little ridiculous to market a product like this to an english teacher and leave out the ability to type the letter 'e', that is essentially what you are asking science and math teacher to do.  Asking the kids to type 'E' for 'e' is problematic, and is representative of the work arounds I have to do as a science teacher.

aicalopez
Community Member

Ah yes, we are in 2020 and this is still a feature that is not available. As a chemistry teacher, I cannot even use subscript or superscripts for chemical compounds which makes answer choices severely limiting if not very confusing for the students.

Please reconsider.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths - it is so frustrating! Not having images also incredibly limiting for encouraging teachers to engage with quizzes.

lic
Community Participant

How hard can it be???

aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

Five years after the idea started...

Here I am, creating a quiz for a faculty member, using New Quizzes because most of the questions are "Stimulus." Now I hit matching and need images on both sides. There's no workaround for this situation since I need Stimulus for most of the other questions.

Please advance and implement. Thanks.

mathieu
Community Participant

RCE needs to be everywhere, not just MCQ.  When I need to author questions in non-latin scripts, the default font size and general absence of styling options makes some question types unusable. Including a popout RCE editor is such a basic feature, I am surprised this has not been done yet.

sbloomfield
Community Novice

RCE needs to be in all questions and answer blanks just like in the Old Quizzes.  It is important to use for math classes especially answers with exponents, pi, and greek letters.  

ablanco1
Community Novice

I cannot believe that this problem is 5 years old and not fixed yet! Canvas, come on!! RCE needs to be available in every single question option.