[New Quizzes] Selecting question-types from item banks

Please consider the  idea of allowing the instructor to  select  specific question-types from a question bank. At  times when we as faculty may not want to  T/F question-types administered as part of the selected question group.

15 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @vancej ‌. As it moves forward for voting, I would encourage instructors to use their own custom tags when creating questions and adding them to an item bank, so they can search by tag for those types when they're adding questions to an assessment from an item bank (How do I manage item banks in Quizzes.Next? ).

dgrilley
Community Member

Stefanie,

I think I may be reading something into this, but I'm guessing this has to do with creating questions that draw randomly from an item bank.  As such, it would a different feature than what is possible in the guide you reference.

Dan

vancej
Community Participant

Dan,

Yes and no. My suggestion has to do with when you import a question bank from a publisher there is no way to  know what the question-types are listed in the bank. Thus, if the bank is deployed  on whatever assessment, student A can potentially be given an essay-type question while student B is given a T/F- type on the same  objective. Hence, this creates  a potential  assessment inconsistency that student A can challenge and/or exploit. Right now, we as  faculty have  create  multiple questions banks that are question-type focused. 

dgrilley
Community Member

Jason,

This brings to mind the idea of "difficulty".  I see no way, besides tags, to indicate difficulty of questions.  Even for essay questions, there can be various levels of difficulty and it would be nice to both a) keep track of them and b) select for them in pulling random questions from a set.  A quick search didn't pull up any ideas on this topic.

Dan

vancej
Community Participant

Dan,

Difficulty is one aspect. My concern is excluding  difficulty altogether. My concern is just the question-types. I had  concerned filtering based on question difficulty, but that should be an  option as well. 

Jason

dgrilley
Community Member

stefaniesanders‌, given the above discussion, would you like to see the concept of tracking question difficulty and using difficulty to select questions for random sets (or in quizzes in general) as a new idea, or incorporated into an existing idea?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dgrilley ‌, thank you for asking. After reading the discussion it sounds like tracking question difficulty would need to be a separate request, as presumably what constitutes the "difficulty" of a particular item would need to be subjectively applied or would need to come from historical data (or from another measurement I haven't yet considered). In any case, it would be distinct from this request.

dgrilley
Community Member

@vancej ‌, per stefaniesanders‌, it may make sense to provide an idea for tracking difficulty as well.  Did you want to coauthor it?

vancej
Community Participant

Dan,

Sure, I would co-author on this. Sorry for the delayed response.

Jason

ericreifs
Community Explorer

At the very least allow the bank to be edited to take out the question types you don't want in the Pool.