[New Quizzes] Support Current Third Party Tool Functionality

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We are excited by the new tools in Quizzes Next, but they should not come at the expense of eliminating support for the use of other third party content editor plugins such as Kaltura, Google, Box, etc.

Quizzes Next is an LTI tool. Because of this,  LTI tools installed in the "regular" Canvas rich text editor, like the Kaltura embed media button, Google, Box, etc., are not available. 

This is a serious loss of functionality, especially for those of use who rely on external tools in quizzes. We know that the LTI spec supports the nesting of tools (nesting the Kaltura tool in the Quizzes Next LTI, for example).

There is an insert media button in Quizzes Next RCE, but inserting embed code other than YouTube or Vimeo results in the code being stripped on save (I've reported this as a bug and it is being investigated).

Even if all iframe embeds worked as expected in this tool, the quiz designer should not have to go to herculean efforts to obtain media embed code external to the quiz development process that is available with the click of a button in the regular Canvas text editor. 

Added to Theme

11 Comments
ruben_duran
Community Novice

QN needs to support third-party tools such as Kaltura.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I would guess most of you are already familiar with, if not involved, in the Quizzes LTI User Group but  @crystal_trotter ‌ asked a this very question a few months ago and I wanted to link this two conversations. You can see her question and the response from Deactivated user‌ at Other External Tools.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We do intend to support these types of integrations. While I can't give you a timeline right now, please know this is something we intend to address.

makraft
Community Contributor

Thank you, Jason!  For us, the support of our other tools such as Kaltura is a requirement for Quizzes Next adoption. Hopefully, it will all come together by the time QN is out of beta. :smileygrin:

fosterl
Community Contributor

Like  @makraft ‌, our (Oregon State University) adoption of Quizzes.Next depends on LTI integrations (Kaltura in particular). Thanks Deactivated user‌ for jumping in here to fill us in. We look forward to hearing about it when a timeline is known! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I read this idea and comments to include all third party tools including #cidi labs#design tools‌ that have access to the HTML editor for instructions, questions, and distractors/answers. Currently, it seems, #quizzes.next‌ still doesn't support the HTML editor anywhere within its umbrella of items. If I am wrong, please list those elements and sub-parts that supports the HTML editor.

alex7
Community Explorer

Can Instructure share any news on this request?

gouldt
Community Contributor

We use RPNow at our institution, so we will not be able to migrate to new quizzes until there is an integration with them. We have begun migrating some of our online courses to new quizzes, but we must avoid those with proctored tests. It would be great if we could get some idea of the progress of third party integrations.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-06-17)