[New Quizzes] Show and Hide Quiz Results by Date

Allow a show/hide date range for the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" quiz setting.

In order to maintain test security, instructors often want to limit students from viewing their quiz results until after the due date for the quiz has passed.  Currently, the correct answers can be set to be shown and hidden on given dates, but students will still be able to see the questions, their responses, incorrect answers, and feedback prior to this date, and if an instructor wants students only to be able to see their results but not correct answers, the only way to do this is to uncheck the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" option then manually go back and enable it once the due date (or other chosen date) has passed.

Please add a date range selector like the one that is there for Let Students See the Correct Answers: 

Screenshot of the quiz settings with date range selector for the Let Students See Their Quiz Results option

90 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @mswindle , thanks for the idea submission! We have a very similar idea already open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8356-quizzesnext-quiz-settings-limited-time-to-review-quiz-que.... Could you take a look at that idea and see if it is asking for essentially the same thing? I'll place this in moderation for now until you have a chance to respond.

mswindle
Community Participant

Hi Adam,

It is not essentially the same thing as Feature Idea allows only a hide option for questions, not a date range (show and hide) for quiz responses, so there would not be the ability to set a date to turn on the results. This feature idea would not solve the problem that my faculty member is having; both show and hide date selectors are needed.

Thanks!

Monica

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the quick response Monica!

When I read https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8356-quizzesnext-quiz-settings-limited-time-to-review-quiz-que... the image that includes the show and hide student response date fields, as well as a hide questions date field, led me to believe that idea was asking for all of those date ranges to be able to be set for New Quizzes (Quizzes.Next). I will check with my colleagues on how we are interpreting that idea, but assuming we are interpreting it to include show/hide response date fields, would you agree it overlaps with this idea?

mswindle
Community Participant

Only in that it involves the same setting. The solution I am suggesting is a different approach, has a different use case, and would provide different (and more) functionality.

Thanks!

Monica

proesler
Community Novice

I love this idea!

I want students to see the questions & their responses (& whether or not it was correct) only AFTER the due date has passed. I don't want them to see the questions after they've submitted the quiz until after the due date.  My goal is for them to figure out what is correct (frequently students ask me for feedback to verify a correct answer). I believe having them find the right answer to a question they missed is a better way for them to learn, so I don't like giving them the right answer. 

Currently, I have to manually open up each quiz after the deadline to click "Let students see their quiz responses".  I would love there to be an automatic option I could click which "Lets students see their quiz responses after the due date" or something where I can pick the date for them to see the questions & all possible answers.

Thanks,

paul 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Yes please to this! I had this exact issue come up just a couple of weeks ago in our Nursing program. They want student to be able to review their answers only immediately after they have taken the test but there is no range for reviewing your responses, only correct answers so the only solution is to remove the ability for student to see their responses at all. This would've solved our issue.

rossjd
Community Novice

I've been operating as if the "Show Correct Answers at:" function was doing this. I'd believed that the students wouldn't get an obvious hint as to whether something like a True or False question was answered correctly, only that they could see how they responded and get any feedback (i.e., hints!) that could clue them into what module they might check if they had doubts that they were incorrect. I'm so completely frustrated that my students had basically been told if they got answers correct, even though I'd specifically tried to set it up to prevent them from getting such obvious question-by-question feedback.

THIS OPTION NEEDS TO BE ADDED ASAP!

herzberg
Community Novice

I just want to echo the comments above. I teach a class with nearly 40 true/false and multiple choice homework assignments. My campus switched over this year to Canvas from D2L, and I was unaware that on Canvas you couldn't allow students to see their responses without their also seeing incorrect answers (something that I now realize has been fixed in New Quizzes), and - more relevant here - that you couldn't set a date on which incorrect answers would be shown (apparently something that has not yet been fixed in New Quizzes). This results in a lot of time-consuming manual setting and resetting of parameters, when it is something that is perfectly suited to being programmed!

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I think I figured out the answer! See my most recent blog post (Common Misconceptions in New Quizzes).

jzwiesler
Community Novice

This is definitely something that I want!  I allow my students to take the quiz as many times as they want, but I only want them to get their raw score as feedback.  This way, they have to think critically about which quiz questions to retry (based on topics where they they were less confident).  However, once the quiz submission period has ended, I want them to see the correct answers so they can get feedback.  It is too cumbersome for instructors to have to go back and manually switch this for each quiz. This feature was available in a competing LMS.