[New Quizzes] Show and Hide Quiz Results by Date

Allow a show/hide date range for the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" quiz setting.

In order to maintain test security, instructors often want to limit students from viewing their quiz results until after the due date for the quiz has passed.  Currently, the correct answers can be set to be shown and hidden on given dates, but students will still be able to see the questions, their responses, incorrect answers, and feedback prior to this date, and if an instructor wants students only to be able to see their results but not correct answers, the only way to do this is to uncheck the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" option then manually go back and enable it once the due date (or other chosen date) has passed.

Please add a date range selector like the one that is there for Let Students See the Correct Answers: 

Screenshot of the quiz settings with date range selector for the Let Students See Their Quiz Results option

90 Comments
ctr_amachsonca
Community Explorer

In classic Quizzes, instructors can set a release date and time to show students the correct answers (for example, after the quiz has closed or after the due date). 

That capability isn't currently available in New Quizzes, and my faculty want to see it before switching over from Classic Quizzes. (in New Quizzes the current option is just a yes/no - either students are shown the correct answers or not). Is this in development? 

mdthomas
Community Contributor

@ctr_amachsonca - Great question and based on a meeting today with one of our academic units, we are also interested in the Results Student View settings to control be dates or immediately after a student takes the assessment the ability to limit result visibility to students.

cgcamillo
Community Explorer

I agree with the comments posted previously.  Allowing students to see their responses for a short period of time after completing the quiz is very important for my program, particularly for the online courses.  In Classic Quizzes, we are able to have the students see their responses ONCE at the completion of the quiz, but then they cannot go back in and view the questions and answers afterward.  This gives the students the ability to see what they got wrong and ask questions, but maintains the security of the test questions.  This feature really needs to be reinstated in the New Quizzes platform!

akhuebel
Community Participant

I just started playing with New Quizzes and am really disappointed that there is not a way to choose dates to release correct answers.  Like most of the posters here, I like to give students multiple attempts, so I allow them to see what they did right and wrong, but I hide the correct answers.  I always set a date for the correct answers to appear so I don't have to remember to go in and manually change it.

With New Quizzes, my workload will be larger because I have to take the trouble to manually allow students to see the correct answers before they study for exams.  It's nuts! 

jharms1
Community Member

This capability is essential!  To prevent cheating, I do not want ANY quiz results (whether graded right or wrong; and certainly not the correct answers) divulged before the deadline (New Quizzes is good here).  HOWEVER, I need those graded quiz results to automatically release at a prescribed time (e.g., at the deadline) so students can review their quiz results before attending lecture.  My students prefer pre-lecture quizzes to be due at 11:59PM the night before lecture... constantly returning at midnight to change the settings to manually release the answers is frustrating!!!   We need this OLD Quizzes capability RESTORED!!  THANK YOU for listening!!!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jharms1 

Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Classic Quizzes, as it is scheduled for deprecation. The idea under which you're commenting is specifically directed at enhancing the functionality for New Quizzes.

jharms1
Community Member

@Stef_retired

Exactly!  If I wasn't clear, the problem is with New Quizzes!  Unlike Classic Quizzes, New Quizzes doesn't allow me to schedule when quiz results become available.  We need this functionality in New Quizzes.   Thanks for engaging us on this!

caries_dhondt
Community Explorer

Dear Canvas,

This "idea" has been open for conversation for 2.5 years!!!!   When does someone at Canvas actually do something to solve the problem????  Are you busy tomorrow?  Let's get someone on this already!!

acgottfr
Community Participant

I agree that this is really needed.  Having to turn answers after every homework (~ 35 times a semester) takes a lot of time and energy.

jmiller16
Community Member

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. It seems reasonable that New Quizzes would retain all of the best features of Classic Quizzes and improve upon them. The share exam results by date was a staple. Please add it to New Quizzes.