[SpeedGrader] SpeedGrader should open pdfs in DocViewer for New Quizzes

When students submit their work as pdf documents for quizzes, then the instructor need to download the pdfs for grading. When students submit their work as pdf documents for assignments, then DocViewer will open them for grading and commenting, which makes grading easier. I just want the same feature for quizzes.

Hence please add the following functionality:

SpeedGreader should open pdfs in DocViewer for grading quizzes.

Added to Theme

82 Comments
ryne_jungling
Community Explorer

Making this available would be amazing!

DTorello
Community Member

Please for the love of god, this feature needs to be implemented.  Downloading hundreds of submissions from students, marking them up in Acrobat, and reuploading them is a nightmare.  

nataliet
Community Member

I STRONGLY AGREE!!  Please implement as soon as possible!

pcritten
Community Explorer

Such an incredible waste of time.  Why is this not an easy fix?  It appears the functionality already exists.  Why does SpeedGrader even appear on the screen if it doesn not work?

willi5cl
Community Explorer

This feature must have been implemented recently, because I used it last week to grade file upload quiz submissions on the Teacher app for iOS.

But there's an issue, because none of the annotations I made on their submissions are visible to the students at all.  Is there a fix coming for this?

des21
Community Explorer

In addition to viewing the file upload in Quizzes, we would like to annotate student work in DocViewer to provide feedback.

ket42
Community Member

@des21Oh my goodness this.   This is my first time using the quiz feature in Canvas.  I teach math, so being able to mark comments on my students' work is important.  I graded a batch of quizzes last night with a file upload question using the Teacher app on an iPad.  I could write annotations on the quiz responses (in the little teeny tiny window that I couldn't make bigger - also a problem!) but apparently there's no way for my students to view my comments.  Students need to be able to view their feedback/annotations.  The functionality for assignment uploads is great - why can't we get that for quiz uploads?

aneyer
Community Member

I couldn't agree more with what everyone has already said.  Please add this feature 🙂

Steuard
Community Explorer

I'll just be repeating what everyone else has said, but here goes. I've used a New Quiz to give a physics exam remotely: students had a 3-hour time limit for the exam, to be completed at any point over the course of several days. (As far as I can tell, that requires a Quiz, not an Assignment.) I asked them to upload a PDF of their answers, since physics problem solving and grading is all about the process, not just the final result. Now when grading it, unlike homework assignments, I have had to click through one student at a time, download each file manually (and manually give them unique, consistent filenames!), grade them without any help from SpeedGrader and its annotation and commenting tools, and then upload a new file with my comments for each student.

Not being able to use the built in commenting features is already a pain; having to download each file manually one at a time just adds insult to injury. What use case have the developers imagined for File Upload quiz questions that wouldn't require the same features as as for file upload Assignments? I just don't understand it.

Green_Leaf
Community Member

I would like to also express my support for this idea. I have to grade free response math problems, and I'm going through the same difficulties: having to download each file, rename it, annotate the PDF, and then upload it back.