[SpeedGrader] SpeedGrader should open pdfs in DocViewer for New Quizzes

When students submit their work as pdf documents for quizzes, then the instructor need to download the pdfs for grading. When students submit their work as pdf documents for assignments, then DocViewer will open them for grading and commenting, which makes grading easier. I just want the same feature for quizzes.

Hence please add the following functionality:

SpeedGreader should open pdfs in DocViewer for grading quizzes.

Added to Theme

82 Comments
Steuard
Community Explorer

@dpotter  I'm reasonably confident that what you're looking at there is the Classic Quizzes interface. Or at least, it looks a lot like what I see when I create a Classic Quiz, and it's not at all what I see with my New Quizzes exam:Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.31.07 AM.png

dpotter
Community Participant

@Steuard After a little digging around, you are absolutely correct. I had thought that our college had switched over to the New Quiz as default, but instead it is an option we can choose, but is not the default. I am sorry for the misinformation. 

Of course, this highlights the issue, since it is my understanding that the New Quiz will be the default in Canvas and the "Old" Quiz will be fazed out. We need to be able to use the markup tools for submissions to quizzes.

nstrobbe
Community Novice

I strongly support this as well. I implemented a quiz with file upload, not realizing that my TA would then have to manually download all the files, and then upload submission comments. I had -- naively it seems -- assumed that it would work the same as for assignments. For a class of over 200 students, this becomes a major time sink! 

victoriaczarnek
Community Member

I strongly agree that the Speedgrader features available in Assignments should be available in New Quizzes. Perhaps there could be just one type of assessment tool that retains the strengths of both: a box could be added to make it a quiz that if checked would bring up features such as time limit, shuffle questions and answers, etc. The most important problems I've run into are:

• The grader should be able to see the students' work, not a link to download that work (now available in Assignments but not in either Classic or New Quizzes).
  • The grader should be able to make annotations on the quiz (now available in Assignments but not in either Classic or New Quizzes).
  • The students should not be able to see their graded work until the instructor chooses to release it. Hiding the grades in the gradebook for Assignments does not hide the assignment, so students can see not only their own work but the instructor's comments and handwritten grade - dangerous if grading begins before all assignments are completed.
jashlock
Community Explorer

I had this same problem; created a timed Quiz (exam) with a two-day window, and unfortunately, had to create a separate "please re-upload your exam so I can use Speedgrader" Assignment once they beat the Quiz timer. Boo.

mcfarlandteresa
Community Member

Please add this feature to new quizzes. Math and Physics teachers need the ability to review students work and give partial credit.

TabithaCI
Community Member

Agreed! We need this feature! Until it is implemented, it really should be called "Ridiculously, monotonously, extremely, very, slow, waiting for loading, drink some coffee, breath to remain calm, try not to pull out your hair grader"

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I had a faculty member ask me about this just a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find out that file submission in quizzes does not open up in Doc Viewer. It makes grading a lot harder to do if you have file submission question types. I hope this is seriously considered.

tombright
Community Novice

I agree completely. It was a tough sell for me to accept Canvas. I was convinced that the transition to Canvas was warranted because of the ability to mark-up pdf submissions in Assignments has been a godsend for teachers in remote learning situations during this pandemic. Please - This capacity should also be applied to Quiz pdf uploads ASAP. 

trolson
Community Participant

YES!

Quizzes should have the same grading/commenting options as assignments!