[SpeedGrader] SpeedGrader should open pdfs in DocViewer for New Quizzes

When students submit their work as pdf documents for quizzes, then the instructor need to download the pdfs for grading. When students submit their work as pdf documents for assignments, then DocViewer will open them for grading and commenting, which makes grading easier. I just want the same feature for quizzes.

Hence please add the following functionality:

SpeedGreader should open pdfs in DocViewer for grading quizzes.

Added to Theme

82 Comments
carlagee08
Community Member

Please fix this. Canvas, come on - this should be easy. 

ytang
Community Explorer

This feature should be added ASAP.

Canvas20202
Community Member

I completely agree and I am puzzled that this feature was not implemented by default in the New Quizzes but we have to ask for it! This should be an extremely easy fix.

I've exchanged many emails with Canvas support about this topic over the last couple of weeks. Their answer was that "Our engineers can't create all the suggestions made on the community at the same time so they prioritize the suggestions with the most votes."

So please send an email to your faculty colleagues asking to vote for it! Otherwise we are never going to see it happen.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

@canvas 20202 "Our engineers can't create all the suggestions made on the community at the same time so they prioritize the suggestions with the most votes." Sounds reasonable except that so, so, so many of the fixes we've been asking for are 1) total no brainers that should have been implemented to begin with, and 2) people have been upvoting them and asking for them for years. Like 5 years in many cases. Sometimes I think there is only 1 engineer. 

bishopta
Community Member

I teach third grade. I like to embed PDFs for my students to view or print off while taking a quiz. With the new quizzes, I have had to embed a link to the file from my google drive for them to get to the PDF, which is more work for me when creating. It also takes the students to a new tab, and I prefer to keep the students on one tab. Please include the embed document button in the new quizzes.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

@bishopta I don't know too many people using the new quizzes. I'm curious how you handle the lack of partial credit--unless something has been fixed since the last time I tried it. For example in a matching problem of 10 points if a student gets 9 right, the student still gets a zero. This is a different topic of course, but since the subject came up, I thought I'd ask.

ytang
Community Explorer

@richard_gardner Here is my workaround solution. Instead of using a matching problem, you'd better use a fill-in-the-blank problem as shown below. You list all questions in column A and all answers and distractors in column B in a random order. Choose the "Dropdown" option instead of the default option "Open Entry" so students could choose the matching answer for each question. Students do get partial credit for fill-in-the-blank problems as shown in the animated screenshot. Hope that helps.

workaroundSolution.png

MatchingProblemExample.gif

amatthys
Community Member

Yes, Please.

zipperp89
Community Member

Please, please, please create this option, Canvas.

rgong1
Community Participant

I agree. This would be a great feature as I'm implementing take-home exams through New Quizzes and the students have to upload PDFs (they are math heavy assignments and I need to see their work). Being able to see the assignments in Doc Viewer would save a lot of time and effort to grade these exams.