[SpeedGrader] SpeedGrader should open pdfs in DocViewer for New Quizzes

When students submit their work as pdf documents for quizzes, then the instructor need to download the pdfs for grading. When students submit their work as pdf documents for assignments, then DocViewer will open them for grading and commenting, which makes grading easier. I just want the same feature for quizzes.

Hence please add the following functionality:

SpeedGreader should open pdfs in DocViewer for grading quizzes.

Added to Theme

82 Comments
pvoor
Community Member

Agree. I'm brand new to canvas, a high school AP chemistry and I want to be able use the time feature of quizzes but be able to view and grade handwritten work (submitted as a file upload pdf) in speed grader.

dpotter
Community Participant

@Steuard While Canvas gets around to amending this problem, it is possible to download all of the uploaded files at once, instead of one student at a time.

When you click on the quiz in Canvas, you will have the option to download all files, either on the right or bottom of your screen (depending on the size of your window). The nice thing is that Canvas uses the student's name for its file naming scheme, so you don't have to rename each file uniquely.

Hope that alleviates some of the pain 🙂

Steuard
Community Explorer

@dpotterAlas, my impression is that the "download all files" option is only available in Classic Quizzes, and for better or worse I've been using New Quizzes. (If it is available in New Quizzes, I'll be delighted! But someone's going to need to tell me in a bit more detail where exactly to look for the option.)

prof_erin
Community Explorer

@dpotter That doesn't addresses the popular desire to _not_ download individual student files. When you have assignments with multiple files, across multiple sections and courses, multiplied by the number of students per class, it easily becomes hundreds of files per week. No one wants to sort through those, even if they are named per student.

richard_gardner
Community Participant

@ Steuard If you are using new quizzes please beware—last I checked, the new quizzes do not give partial credit. So for example if you have a matching problem with 10 matches, and your student gets 9 of them right, he still gets a zero. That has been a big issue among lots of users; if it has been fixed I don’t know about it yet. Many of us have refused to use new quizzes until it gets fixed, but it has been years and last I heard, no fix yet.

dpotter
Community Participant

@prof_erin I fully agree with you on that regard, I was just trying to reduce some of @Steuard's pain. The fact that we cannot mark-up submissions directly in Speedgrader for quizzes directly is ludicrous and I cannot fathom why this "bug" has not been corrected by now.  

@Steuard I believe that we switched over to New Quizzes last spring, and I was still able to download all of the student's submissions in one go. To be clear, my quiz was comprised of one question (which was an image of the entire exam) to which the students uploaded their written response to all of the questions from the exam. 

An alternative work-around that some of my colleagues have employed was to create a quiz with multiple questions for which students entered in their final answer. Once they completed the quiz, they then had to upload their work into a corresponding assignment (within 15 minutes of completing the quiz). The faculty were then able to mark-up the students submission directly in Speedgrader because it was an assignment.

Again, this is a clunky workaround, but it may help until Canvas finally addresses the issue.  

Steuard
Community Explorer

@dpotter  I don't want to derail this discussion of the basic need for SpeedGrader to work for file uploads in quizzes, but can you give me any idea of how to find the "download all submissions" function in New Quizzes, if you've used it? I'm new to Canvas, and it's quite possible that I'm just oblivious! (My quiz is also exactly one question which includes a link to download the PDF of the entire exam, and then students upload a PDF scan of their written work.)

I see headings for Build, Settings, Reports, and Moderate, and then a Return button and a "three dots" menu button (with options to import content or manage item banks). I see buttons for Item Banks, Outcomes, and Preview. I see a sidebar with my overall Canvas account, dashboard, etc. And I see an expandable "question navigator" sidebar. Apart from the edit buttons on item elements and "duplicate" and "trash" buttons on the one question, that's all I see. (I don't see any download links in the main Canvas assignment settings page, either.) Any thoughts on where to look?

prof_erin
Community Explorer

@Steuard This thread is about people wanting the grading features for Quizzes that already exist in Assignments. This is good news for your application (a single question quiz): you can use Assignments instead and get the features we are all discussing: ability to view and write corrections on submissions without downloading. 🙂

Unfortunately, these features are not available in [multi-question] quizzes.

Steuard
Community Explorer

@prof_erin  I had thought about that, but I'm pretty sure that I can't put a per-student time limit on an Assignment. By using a quiz question, I can say "You have three hours to complete the exam after you have opened it, and you must turn it in by Saturday at the latest."

dpotter
Community Participant

@Steuard When I open up the quiz directly (as if I were going to edit it) I find a link to download all files on the right-hand side of my screen as in the image below. I know that if my screen is too small, these links move to the bottom of the page. If this link is unavailable, you may want to reach out to your college's Canvas Admin.

Canvas Quiz Screen Shot.png