[New Quizzes] New Quizzes Stimulus PDF

We would like to see in the New Quizzes for the Stimulus question the ability to upload a file and preview that file so students can read the PDF while answering the questions.  I have several teachers that have PDF versions of their textbook and would like to be able to include the PDF in the stimulus instead of having to copy and paste the information from the PDF into the RCE for the Stimulus question to use as a guided reading questions.

Added to Theme

20 Comments
kmohr
Community Member

Yes, PLEASE create the ability to upload a PDF so that students can read the story while answering questions. 

RobDitto
Community Champion

Rated 5 stars! My suggested implementation of this idea would cover not only PDF but other file types which can be previewed in Canvas. 

mskoch
Community Participant

Support! Currently we have many foreign language courses that require proctored quizzes and exams using PDF files to provide students access to special characters that they can copy and paste while the normal copy/paste function via keyboard shortcut or right-click is disabled. Without the option to preview text in PDF, we will have to relax the restrictions to allow copy/paste in the browser, which makes the exams less secured. 

RobDitto
Community Champion

Thanks @mskoch - you helped me find this idea again!  A closely-related new one is also open for conversation:

amber_hainline
Community Participant

Agreed! The ability to create quiz questions over a PDF that opens within the quiz mimics high stakes testing, and allows students to offer evidence from the text as support for their ideas. 

macuevas
Community Member

Yes, please! This would allow an easier way to integrate "high stakes" testing formats into quizzes in Canvas. 

rwatkins795
Community Member

Yes, this is exactly what we need.

Exams have steps to create various documents and a picture of what it should look like.

They have PDFs with actual full size images of the final product, so need to stay in that format. The text is in PDFA format.

I have to use Assignments and then calculate the time from opening to time on the finished document for tracking time to finish.

hanzi_teo
Community Participant

This would be a wonderful feature! 

Can we also ensure that the PDF is not downloadable? It should be embedded or some kind of iframe so students can refer to it while doing the assignment, but they won't be able share that stimulus with another student in other classes who might not have done the assignment. 

susan_baglin
Community Explorer

This would have helped teachers so much, especially after the shutdown. 

mgish1
Community Member

We really need this. I use resources from downloaded PDFs that I cannot simply copy and paste because of formatting issues. There is no way I'm about to spend hours trying. I'm assuming this work great for math and science.