[New Quizzes] SubFolders for Item Banks

PLEASE develop folders and subfolders within question banks so questions can be organized for easier access in quiz creation.  If a teacher chooses to develop a quiz with a selected number of questions randomly being chosen from several different question banks, it becomes very difficult to filter through the hundreds of question banks created, especially when canvas lumps all questions banks from all courses together in the quiz creation.  For example it would be nice if a teacher could create a folder for each unit and within that folder have subfolders for M.C., fill in blank, Graph interpretation, essay etc.  Right now you have to create a different question bank for each question type, point value and subject area.  Teaching 4 different subjects creates hundreds of banks and becomes chaotic really fast.  It is like trying to save everything on your desktop and then be expected to go find one document in the thousands of items.  Folders with subfolder capability is only logical to file questions in a bank.  Please make this needed addition this summer!!
51 Comments
tjl5783
Community Member

I just posted a similar request without realizing such a feature is highly sought.  I think Canvas developer should seriously consider it,

cadams6
Community Member

Just coming here to echo what people have been asking since 2016 . . . pretty discouraged to see that people have been asking for folders so we can organize our question banks since 2016 and nothing has yet been done.

gray1314
Community Member

I am with all of the above people. We need the option to make subfolders for questions banks. I'm going to end up with so many banks, teaching 20+ sections with each section being broken up into 2 - 5 separate banks to separate the individual concepts, and if this was fixed it would make it much easier to sift through the many concepts I am trying to test. How do we get things voted on and implemented ASAP?

orion1618
Community Member

Like this idea a lot. Just starting to use the new quiz feature and I have a question bank per chapter for each of my classes. It adds up quickly and being able to put at least each class into its own folder would be helpful.

ctrimby1
Community Novice

Just the ability to create folders and move banks into them. I have a bank for every learning objective and that has gotten unwieldy fast. 

Also, I team teach and when we share banks for exams it adds even more!

seadel71
Community Member

In new quizzes, I would like to be able to organize my question banks into folders (Calculus Chapter 4 question banks).  

enathan
Community Member

Would like to be able to have a way to sort/organize questions banks. Right now I have 4 pages of banks- hard to sort through even by names. If there were files we could name them by test- then each test file could have separate banks. 

Thank you!

jryter1
Community Participant

I i get more banks for many classes... it is becoming a mess. Yes please and thankyou.

joneson
Community Explorer

Canvas quiz banks with sub-categories and ways to request alternate versions of the same question would be extremely useful. I have four course preps each with a semester long series of quizzes, exams, and lab-practical banks. Currently the quiz-banks are categorized by textbook-chapter/topic. I would like the ability to select from quiz-bank categories based on questions that have been categorized by Blooms Taxonomy level (knowledge, comprehension, application, etc.) within each of these banks. To put each topic-subcategory set of questions into their own bank would require me to multiply the number of quizzes in my already unwieldy set of quiz banks by 4 - 5. Furthermore if I instead organize these subcategories into quiz goups within the quiz, then this puts me over the 100 question limit wherein Canvas will not calculate quiz statistics - even for a quiz that in effect has only 50 questions for each student.

cindykukla
Community Participant

Hoping to see some version of folders/subfolders for Item Banks. Item banks can quickly get out of control and need some way to manage them. Tags can only do so much. The + all / random feature is great, but that requires very specific item banks, which means many banks with no organizational ability.