[New Quizzes] Ungraded Essay Question - 0 points autograde

0 Likes
(10)

I use New Quizzes for weekly brief student submissions. Due to a large number of students, I have the quiz setup to autograde using Multiple Choice questions. However, I also include ungraded essay questions (worth 0 points) so students can add some extra relevant details to their submission. However, even though the 'essay' question is ungraded, I am still required to grade each student before their grade is released.

I would like for the ungraded essay questions to not prevent the quiz from being autograded. An alternative is to make a new question category that is not an essay but allows a student to type their feedback within the quiz/reflection.

10 Comments
DanicaBotts
Community Explorer

In this same vein, I am using New Quizzes essay to collect ideas and I want students to see model answers that I entered under the general feedback section. It appears it won't release my feedback until I've graded every response.

SharonTSS
Community Member

Same issue here! I'm designing asynchronous courses for adult learners who may or may not be held accountably by supervisors. I'd like them to turn something in, but for supervisors to not be forced to review each submission before a score is generated. (This prevented us from using mastery paths when it might have been an elegant solution for our course design.)

LeslieCook
Community Novice

YES!  I think this would be a valuable feature for assignments in Canvas.  Like @SharonTSS wrote, being able to have adult educators be able to write written responses that are ungraded assignments would be a useful feature for work that I'm facilitating with teachers in Canvas.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

jlkamphaus
Community Member

Totally agree! Having ungraded essay questions not prevent a quiz from being autograded would enhance the experience for users and facilitators and make New Quizzes easier to use. 

KateGessford
Community Member

Yes, I agree, please include the option to have an essay question worth zero points that can be autograded. This would be very useful in asynchronous settings, especially for adult learners. Thank you!

abutton
Community Explorer

We also require this functionality, and have 0 mark short written answer questions within the old quiz functionality that supply students with a model answer on submission. However, this functionality does not seem to be available in new quizzes and requires teachers to provide a grade regardless. This seems like a serious functionality flaw with the new quizzes.

AllenPurvis
Community Novice

I wanted to post this exact thing (but my status isn't high enough yet 🙂 ).  Here are my thoughts on the issue:

This feature of skipping 0 point essays allowed teachers to have students provide justification for answers and a myriad of other things without needing to individually grade each and every essay (especially with over 200 students!)  This was a great feature that saved many hours for teachers because they were able to efficiently grade assignments as well as give students writing prompts.

However, now when you assign an essay question "0" points the New Quizzes still flags it as needing to be graded before being able to transfer a score over to a Grading System (such as Skyward).  This now requires me, as a teacher, to hand "grade" every single essay in order to even be able to transfer the scores over to the gradebook.  This will require me to change almost every single New Quiz I have created for all of my courses (which will be a monumental task).  

My suggestion is to either revert back to  the old way or simply add a check box option to each essay question stating "Does not count toward assignment grade."  Checking this box would cause the auto grader to skip the question and grade everything else like normal.

hesspe
Community Champion

I'd like to add our support to the request to exempt 0 point essay questions from the requirement that essay questions be graded manually.  The logic of this is unimpeachable.  The fact that the designers  have tried both the 0 point option and the ungraded option (with many unsatisfied by each choice) supports the argument that there is a strong case to be made for both options and the tool should accommodate both.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived