New Quizzes Window change

0 Likes

Recently there were some updates to New Quizzes, like how you accessed the banks and set up quizzes. While I applaud the addition of the Build button, when I get to the build part, two new buttons on the top right make the working box so small you can no longer see the # of questions and other information you could before. And forget trying to work on a Stimulus in this new tiny box. Is there anyway to get those buttons moved so we can have the whole screen back again??

Tags (2)
13 Comments
JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

The new quizzes layout is meant to be in a full size window. Compressing it i to a frame makes it hard to work in. Please fix. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

@Greengal 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. I just navigated to a New Quiz in the Build mode, and this is what I see:

Stefanie_0-1620306326614.png

It spans the entire width of the page, and there doesn't seem to be any compressed area where navigating or typing are difficult. We haven't made any recent changes to this page, so could you help us understand what is causing the new difficulty?

Thanks again.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Greengal
Community Member

That is not what I see. Here is what it looks like: Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.55.38 AM.png

JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

My view is definitely not the full page!  In the photo below, the region inside the blue square used to occupy the full page. Now it is compressed into a tiny portion of the web page. It is more challenging to work in this altered layout as the New Quiz engine is still set up to occupy the full web page even though it is being compressed into a small fraction of the web page.Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 2.35.24 PM.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Greengal and @JoeBattistelli , I can confirm Canvas did not implement that design change. I notice that both of you are from the same school, which leads me to believe that something has changed at the local level specific to your school's instance. Would you please reach out to your local Canvas admin to ask about this and let us know what you discover?

Greengal
Community Member

I believe that you are mistaken as we have a colleague at the school is not experiencing the same issue. They are utilizing google chrome. I am using Firefox, but have also tried it in Safari and I see that same truncated screen. It potentially is related to browsers but should this not be taken into consideration when designing things in the LMS as there are a several common browsers that individuals use?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Greengal 

I quickly looked at one of the courses in your account and was able to see that New Quizzes display in an iframe on the Assignments page itself. However, when I access a new quiz in my own courses through the same browser (I'm using Chrome), the behavior of New Quizzes is unchanged: clicking on the Build tab launches New Quizzes in a full width display, just as it has in the past.

In other words, Canvas did not implement this design change, and this is not an issue with different behavior in different browsers. Would you please use the support pathway provided by your school to have a member of Canvas Support look at the course and school account to find out why your quizzes are launching in a frame? General instructions for contacting support are in How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? , but you might find it best to start with the local Canvas admin.

Thanks.

Greengal
Community Member

They tell us to contact you about these issues. LOL...

I have played around with the settings on my mac computer and if I zoom out then it fits better but then becomes too small to see for me. It looks bigger on my PC, but its screen is larger. The two buttons on the top right, Edit Assignment and SpeedGrader maybe causing the restriction. Is there anyway to move them so that they are not in the upper right?

I am not trying to be a bother, it is just harder to work with the interface on my Mac with them there. They appear to be a new change related to the change in how the new quizzes are accessed (the Build function, which I like).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Greengal It shouldn't be displaying in an iframe at all. Would you please provide the ticket number for the case number in which Canvas Support told you to contact the Idea Conversations forum for this issue?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Greengal @JoeBattistelli 

I've done yet more checking and have received formal confirmation that the design you're seeing did not originate from Canvas. Accordingly, we're going to archive this idea and recommend that you pursue the above-recommended support pathways, starting with your local Canvas admin or eLearning department, to find out why New Quizzes are now displaying in an iframe in your courses and let them know how you feel about the change.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

Thank you!