New Quizzes: availability dates accurately control student access

0 Likes
(3)

In New Quizzes availability dates are only posted on the assignment settings page.  These settings are supposed to control student access, however a cached page on a mobile device during the available time allows students to re-enter the quiz that was already closed.  This causes problems for student grades, especially when time limits are also set for the same quiz. 

Proposed solution:  Canvas should communicate availability dates (and assignment instructions) between canvas and new quizzes so that both systems know whether or not the quiz should be available.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Steven_S 

Thanks for sharing this. We know you're always awesome at doing your due diligence, but just to confirm: have you already brought this to the attention of Canvas Support? If you have, please send us the case number so we can have it here for reference. 

Steven_S
Community Champion
Author

I don't have a case number, but I was online with canvas chat about it shortly before posting this.  According to the chat support, there are too many differences in browser cache functions to address the issue.  However, it seems to me that connecting the assignment settings to the new quizzes settings would address the issue, because new quizzes could block attempts that had been allowed to start based on cached settings.  OR if the cached page is linked to new quizzes directly, a start page for the quiz that always reconfirms those settings before allowing access to the questions, might help.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Steven_S Thanks for adding the summary of your chat discussion.

Steven_S
Community Champion
Author

@Stef_retired  I received a follow up email today identifying the chat as help request number 07046055.  The details should be saved under that number.  I thought they were sending it to a higher level of support, but the follow up just says they are assuming that all is well.  In any case, there should be a resolution to the problem identified by chat support that cached pages allow students to access quizzes that are already locked. 

Also, the same chat conversation was the inspiration for https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Speedgrader-use-this-attempt-button-for-new-qu... because the error caused by cached pages replaced the student's latest attempt (100% and on-time) with a zero (barely logged in and not started and two weeks after it locked, so it would also be a zero based on the late penalty.)  The only solution available was fudge points to recreate the correct score and manually removing the late penalty.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of The Community and the Product Team!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and this thread was identified as a bug. This thread has been linked to an internal ticket and will be addressed using that system instead of our formal Idea Conversations process.