[New Quizzes] individual rubric for each essay question

(15)
Our old CMS allows us to attach a rubric to an essay question in a quiz, that is, applying a rubric at the question level. We were able to assign each essay question its own rubric if need to. I would love to see that in Canvas!

63 Comments
quz2
Community Participant

I found this idea was posted before, too bad it was just below the 100 vote mark!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

It is too bad, but we can always give it another try!

Your idea will open for voting December 2nd!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Being able to grade individual essay quiz questions using a rubric would improve the administration and assessment of timed essay writing.

monte
Community Novice

I'm very glad to see this idea resurrected. It would be a very significant improvement, and allow me to use Canvas as the platform for my final exams, which are all short essay questions.

alcausey
Community Novice

This is a must when it comes to standards based quiz design. We do not teach a TEK at a time and we need the ability to label each piece. We also need the ability to dual code those if need be.

hlittle
Community Novice

This is a feature that really expedites grading when I am looking for specific things. Schoology has this feature.

pcosta
Community Explorer

128 Votes...will it happen now?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi pcosta

We love seeing your excitement!  This idea did reach the 100 vote threshold that identifies it as a community priority.  Per the process​, this idea will be taken to the product team for review, research, scoping, and assessment of available resources.  This idea could then continue through some of the progressive stages, or it could go to archive for a while.

renniscantwell
Community Member

It would be so helpful to be able to attach a rubric to an essay question instead of having only one rubric for the entire quiz. If I had the option to attach a rubric to the question, I could have a variety of questions in a quiz and give rubric-based feedback on just the essay questions, or I could have several essays and vary the rubrics for different outcomes.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Out of curiosity, are you all interested in attaching a rubric to an individual quiz question sot hat you can align outcomes at a more granular level? Or do you simply need to attach a rubric to quiz questions for short answer responses?

monte
Community Novice

The former! I need a rubric for each quiz question, in order to effectively use the Quiz tool for major final exams.

quz2
Community Participant

Both. For the former, it's better for learning outcome assessment and integrating individual courses at the program curriculum level. For the latter, it keeps grading objective and efficient.

bdpacker
Community Novice

The latter. I only need to have each essay/short answer question with its own rubric for grading purposes.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

With new quizzing engine under way, this feature will be heavily considered. My colleague Deactivated user​ and I understand the need here. Our teams are working feverishly on the new quizzing engine...stay tuned with updates!

e01166
Community Novice

This would certainly be helpful for teachers/schools using standards based grading

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are very confident this will be part of our new quizzing engine. However, I am not confident that it will not get done in the next 6 months. So we are archiving it but that doesn't mean its not happening. We appreciate everyones feedback and conversation!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
kstack
Community Contributor

Having a rubric for each individual question is important so that students can receive individualized feedback for each question. I hope this idea becomes a reality soon!