New Quizzes: make already reviewed attempts more obvious

0 Likes

I tend to use quizzes in a formative fashion, drawing questions randomly from question banks, and allowing unlimited attempts.  Setup in this way, students never get the same quiz, but are able to interact with the content as many times as necessary to master the material. My question banks make use of regular expression short answer questions that sometimes need tweaking based on student responses, so have to review them, especially the first time a quiz is taken.

The problem I find is that when I need to moderate the attempts, it becomes difficult to determine which attempts I have already moderated, as the “time”column does not include a date, and there is no visual indication that I have already viewed it. It would be so helpful to include some visual change to attempts that have not been viewed.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@mathieu Thanks for sharing this idea. We'll move it forward for broader discussion, but wonder if you have considered viewing students' attempts through SpeedGrader instead of or in addition to using the Moderate page.

mathieu
Community Participant

Hi @Stef_retired

Thanks for the suggestion. The SpeedGrader does help to resolve some aspects of marking in the way I have outlined above.  But there are times when I want to view the entire list of submissions in one place.  Apart from this bird’s eye view of the quiz, it seems that the SpeedGrader is somewhat of an after thought where New Quizzes is concerned.  Why is it that we can only get to the SpeedGrader for quizzes from the gradebook?  Other activities allow one to access the SpeedGrader from the activity tab (e.g. discussions, assignments, etc).

One other use case that is not addressed is that if I want to view every instance of a particular question.  That is, I would like to be able to see how every student answered a given question, so I can make any adjustments or see if perhaps students have misunderstood something or if I need to tweak something.  The regrade function in particular would be much more useful if I could see more information on how an adjustment affects each student who answer the question. Perhaps this is a separate issue I should bring up on another thread?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived