[New Quizzes] New Quizzes new question type: Audio recording

Current Situation

The current audio submission tool is decent, but it is neither robust nor efficient, and, most importantly, it is not available for quizzes.

Problem

For second/foreign language courses, speaking is the language skill that needs most attention because it is so logistically difficult to practice and assess. While reading, listening, and writing skills can be assessed on Canvas in quiz form, speaking skills cannot.

For speech courses, assigning and grading online homework/quizzes that require actual speaking can be cumbersome or impossible. Public speaking and debate courses also have few opportunities for teachers to evaluate argumentative skills in quiz form.

Solution

I propose Canvas adds an audio recording quiz question type. I added some desired complementary features for ultimate functionality and control in the comments section below.

Benefits for Teachers

• Language/speech/public speaking/debate teachers will be able to assess speaking skills/pronunciation/argumentative skills/other speaking abilities on Canvas and plan future materials according to the students’ performance.
  • Language/speech/public speaking/debate teachers will be able to give direct feedback to students for speaking. This is very difficult in a classroom.
  • More benefits will derive from the desired complementary features in the comments section below.

Benefits for Students

• Students will get teacher feedback on their speaking skills.
  • Students will be able to play back their responses to understand teacher feedback and/or evaluate themselves.
  • More benefits will derive from the desired complementary features in the comments section below.

Additionally, if the desired settings below (in the comments) are implemented, the entire audio recording quiz questions would be streamlined.

quizzes.next_new‌ mediamedia submission

second language‌ foreign language‌second languagelanguage learning english language learners language language and literacy sign language foreign language‌ language translation‌ american sign language‌ online language education‌ languages other than english‌‌

Added to Theme

38 Comments
ashley1_emmanue
Community Novice

I teach all content areas in first grade. Having this feature would help all my students who are beginning readers to articulate and practice fluency. In addition, the feature would be helpful for the students who have english as their second language. I recommend teachers in foundational grades to use this feature to perform fluency and word recognition assessments in the classroom.

matthewmcginnis
Community Novice

I absolutely agree!

darachel
Community Novice

I really like how teachers could access the recordings. I used to use Google voice and sometimes students don't introduce themselves even when you tell them several times. Also, I like the fact that the teacher can comment and students can listen to the comments and their audios later.

jameseblue
Community Novice

Audio feature would not only be good for foreign language courses but it can be use in other courses as well.  A student may not be good at explaining an answer in written words but can express ideas through speech.  This gives teachers another way to assess students.  They can have a choice to submit their answer verbally or written.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

Definitely! And for K 12 students wanting to read for their teacher! Or we want them to say something? Very important feature. Quizzes.next need an audio/video possibility, as it is in the old one.

There are several similar ideas out there.  Vote for these as well:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13082-quizzes-next-add-question-type-media-recordings?commentI...

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13475-quizzesnext-add-media-recording-to-text-editor?commentID...

MichaelB
Community Participant

Please! 

Having full audiovisual support in quizzes would be ideal. 
1.  Allow the teacher to record either audio or visual as they are making questions for a quiz.

2. Allow the students to record either audio or visual as answer questions on a quiz. 

3.  Allow the teacher to record feedback to the student when grading the quiz about each answered question. 

matthewmcginnis
Community Novice

Exactly! Implementing audio and video would be extremely beneficial across the board.

ksilman
Community Novice

Thank you!!! This hits my issues dead on! I need my students with IEPs (requiring the content to be read to them) to be able to have their iPad/computer/tech device read it AND it would be best if the teacher were able to record the questions individually for students to self-pace themselves!  I was able to do this on Moodle and it was amazing!  All of the kids were extremely grateful as they didn't have to wait for all of the kids needing their test read aloud to finish question 1, prior to moving to question 2.  #texttospeech‌ 

matthewmcginnis
Community Novice

Exactly - don't we want more autonomous learners? Smiley Happy

awalker1
Community Novice

Yes! By adding a feature that allows students to film themselves natively in Canvas, it makes it possible for me to assess their comprehension and expression skills completely in ASL (no English required)!