New Quizzes should not *automatically* grade written responses

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Any questions that teachers have to manually grade (essay, short answer) are automatically calculated as zeros in Quizzes.Next. There are 2 major issues with this:

1. Student's grades are completely inaccurate until the teacher grades them. This can cause serious issues like suspension from a sports team due to grades, consequences at home, and unneeded anxiety and stress. Yes, I can mute the assignment so they don't see that grade at home, but administrators who are determining eligibility see it as part of the average. 

2. Because Quizzes.Next considers this question already graded, as a teacher, I have no way of telling which responses I have graded and which I have not.  In the old Quiz system, it shows a document symbol in the gradebook and a little orange dot next to their name in Speedgrader to show that these questions still need to be graded.  When you are look at a specific student's quiz in Speed grader, it tells you what still needs to be graded, but still shows a check next to their name in the list, so you have to scroll through every student to see if it has been graded. With hundreds of students turning in assignments at different times this is not helpful.

Considering the old version has this, this is something that should have been fixed before it ever came out of Beta. It is a serious glitch in how Quizzes.Next interacts with the Canvas Gradebook. 

61 Comments
djc29
Community Member

This is the third time I have posted this exact thing. I just want to know: are we being heard? Is anything happening on this? We've been being led on for a year with vague dismissals when this is a crucial issue.

There are already many posts about this, and I myself have posted about it before, but time is ticking. Before long, "Old Quizzes" will lapse and "New Quizzes" will be the only option, and so this is becoming more and more urgent.

In Canvas New Quizzes, open-ended questions are automatically graded as zero until the instructor assigns a different grade. I already know the workarounds for this problem, but it should not be a problem that needs workarounds in the first place. After all, it is clear that no instructor would ever want the questions to be graded this way.

For other types of assignments, the grade is shown as pending until the instructor gives a grade. When will New Quizzes adopt this sensible and critical grading practice as well?

george_ray
Community Member

I have built an application that calls the API and gets the items that need graded. My application lets me prioritize grading. The assignments not showing up because they are being auto-graded is a real drag. I would love to see a fix.

JordanBPeterson
Community Member

I'm so shocked that this was an issue in 2019, and it STILL hasn't been fixed yet. This is my biggest issue with canvas.

TylerSisco
Community Member

Okay, this was originally posted in 2019. It is now 2022. I can't believe this is still an issue!

mgarcia7
Community Member

Honestly, New Quizzes are all but unusable. I will not use something that auto grades essays at 0 points automatically and doesn't notify me that I need to grade. This is utterly ridiculous that it would even be written this way and not fixed already. Coupled with the issues with matching questions grading as a 0 rather than giving partial credit and I will not use new quizzes. It should be far easier to submit issues that need fixed like this one than just hope that it gets enough attention that someone eventually decided to fix it. This is an unusable feature. It needs to be fixed without needing a set number of upvotes.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

This was made available in May 2022. We apologize for not updating this thread sooner!

For more information, please read the New Quizzes on the To Do List blog and the Canvas Release Notes 2022-05-21. 

dalston1
Community Participant

It would be great if this could be fixed. I also need it to show up in my "to do" list. I have a system if the whole test is essay, but if I just have one question on a test, I have to keep checking back. Nobody has time for that.

bengaynor
Community Participant

@dalston1 It has been fixed for a few months. All of my quizzes with essay questions go into my to-do list. It's much more efficient!!

sara_samples1
Community Participant

agreed!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New